Goldmark Orchestral works vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 16 August 2018, 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from cpo. Although titled 'Symphonic Poems, vol.1', the CD features three works that Goldmark actually called 'overtures', plus two scherzos:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/karl-goldmark-symphonische-dichtungen/hnum/7971773
The orchestra is the Bamberg Symphony under Fabrice Bollon.

MartinH

I'm always up for more Goldmark, but other than the two Scherzi, there's nothing new here. Of course there several unrecorded orchestral works I'm looking forward to if this series intends to be more or less complete. I'd love to hear Aus Jungentagen. But what I really want are recordings of two operas: A Winter's Tale and A Cricket on the Hearth!

Alan Howe

Still, these are new recordings of interesting repertoire, with a conductor (Bollon) of rare talent and an orchestra of proven pedigree (the Bambergers). I'll be investing...

Mark Thomas

MartinH wrote:
QuoteI'd love to hear Aus Jungentagen
You shall go to the ball, Cinderella! I've added a recording of a radio broadcast of the overture to our Downloads Board here. It's not of the highest quality, but it'll serve...

Alan Howe

Just to be clear, it's 'Aus Jugendtagen', as Mark has it in the Downloads Board.

MartinH

That was great!  :) So much fun. Can't wait to hear it in properly recorded CPO sound. I love Goldmark's use of woodwinds. Highly chromatic - would be a good addition to the 2019 Bard festival. Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed it very much.

eschiss1

Bard Festival... er... wait. Why? Not sure what it has to do with Korngold.

semloh

Penthesilea! Gosh, that confused me  ;D I was convinced it was by Hugo Wolf. I had no idea that Goldmark had composed a work on the same poem - Goldmark in 1876, Wolf in 1885.
Anyhoo.... as you say, Alan, it will be good to have a modern, high quality recording of these works by Goldmark.

Gareth Vaughan

And Othmar Schoeck in (I think) 1926. But I digress. Apologies. Back to Goldmark.

eschiss1

... I was going to add Felix Draeseke (1888, Op.50), but you're right.

Alan Howe

Draeseke's is one of his best shorter pieces. Apologies from me too...

eschiss1

does "Jugendtagen" have the same connotation as "From my old notebooks" (translating) for Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, etc. - using music from earlier, perhaps unpublished works - or is the title perhaps just suggestive? (If this is known one way the other.)

matesic

Dredging for the remains of my schoolboy German, "From the days of my youth" could also mean reminiscences of nursery rhymes, folk songs etc.

Alan Howe

As matesic says, it just means 'From the Days of My Youth' (lit. 'From Youthdays'). An up-to-date translation might be: 'From my Teenage Years'.

Alan Howe

Well, the CD turns out to be of superlative quality. The orchestral playing is of a level one rarely hears and the recording reveals depths of sonority with superb fidelity. And then there's the music: the two previously unrecorded Scherzos (Op.13 and Op.45) are absolutely delicious, wonderfully scored and richly melodic - worth the price of the CD alone.