Alma Deutscher Violin Concerto in G minor & Piano Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 18 October 2018, 06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks very much for this.

Roman Kim was born in Kazakhstan on 11th October 1991 and, according to one article, was still writing his VC1 in B minor in 2015. Kim himself gave the premiere in Cluj Napoca (Romania) in 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2luD83eK20  (first mvt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE2KFUbFZpA  (slow mvt)

Kim isn't really comparable with Alma Deutscher; he's no child prodigy composer. His VC is the work of a young man in his twenties. And yet, although it is clearly a much more sophisticated composition than AD's VC, it's just as much in thrall to the music of the past as AD's. Nevertheless, I'd be glad to encounter it in a concert and hope that it might one day be recorded. It's a very attractive piece!

Mark Thomas

Indeed it is, but it's very derivative - sounds like Warsaw Concerto-style film "classical music" to me. What I find disturbing, as I think Matesic did about the Alma Deutscher YouTube videos, are the ridiculously over the top adulatory comments, and the vitriolic attack on the one poor poster who, IMHO, wrote a few home truths about the work. Truly, we live in uncomfortable times.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

I'd certainly buy a recording of it, though. I agree, of course, that it's terribly derivative.

The real point, though, is that this VC was written by a young man; AD's was written when she was 9 and revised when she was 12.

pianoconcerto

For those interested in her music, Deutscher's complete piano concerto is now on youtube.

matesic

If you were listening "blind" what would you think? John Field? Not enough notes

Alan Howe

No. It's a pastiche of AD's favourite styles/composers. But a remarkable pastiche.

matesic

Alma certainly plays it very expressively. How she's had time to absorb an authentic-sounding rubato style as well as all the rest completely baffles me. Some pianists never seem to get it, but that doesn't stop them playing Chopin!

Alan Howe

I still think she's absolutely remarkable. What will her 25 year-old self be composing?

Sharkkb8

Surely the youngest composer to attain the "Greatest Hits"-style album milestone.   ;)
(release early Nov)

Amazon:  "My Book of Melodies reveals the melodies Alma composed from the age of 4 to 14. For this album she has chosen one melody from each of those years. The melodies she collected over these years are written down in her same named sketch book (book of melodies) which she keeps with her all the time."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8672509--alma-deutscher-my-book-of-melodies

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteBut a remarkable pastiche.

Well, it is certainly remarkably dull! Look - she's a clever girl, but this sort of exposure does her talent and reputation no good at all. She needs to mature. The young Korngold was streets ahead of her.

Alan Howe

She's clearly more than merely 'clever'; but if she never grows out of her childhood interests and obsessions, she'll disappear from public view, won't she?

Gareth Vaughan

That's why I think all this exposure and adulation at a relatively early age is dangerous. She needs to learn to be far more self-critical, and that only comes with maturity. It doesn't help to have audiences gasping and applauding over a concerto which is no more than mediocre and derivative.

Alan Howe

I agree about her exposure. It'd be best if she hid herself away and emerged as a mature musician - if she has the ability to be that. She may not, of course.

FBerwald

I think this discussion is a bit pointless... (no offense to anyone who posted here so far) the argument that this budding composer should not let the "adulation go to her head" is true for any child prodigy and the audience reaction to such young artists was/is/will always be enthusiastic. As far as her future works are concerned, let time tell the tale. If she doesn't fulfill any expectations we put on her, it won't matter so much (imho) - We will survive as will Alma Deutscher.