Sergey Ivanovich Taneyev (1856-1915)

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 26 September 2010, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Besides an interesting and strong personality, Sergey Taneyev wrote some beautiful music.
Time for further exploring this composer. However, I have only two CD's. His Symphonies 2 & 4 under Polyansky on Chandos, and his Piano Concerto and some works for solo piano on Toccata Classics. Although his PC (1876, left unfinished) doesn't impress me so much (the Allegro of 25 minutes is far too long, IMHO) I'm overwhelmed by the Symphonies, especially the 4th. That is really a great, stirring work. I know he wrote quite a lot of chamber music.

Any recommendations?

Mark Thomas

Peter, both Chandos and Naxos now have CDs coupling the First and Third Symphonies (comparative review at Musicweb International here). Personally I prefer the Polyansky interpretations for Chandos, but Sanderling on Naxos also gets good reviews. They're great pieces which I'm sure you'll enjoy. I've also found the Northern Lights series of CDs with all the String Quartets a very rewarding experience.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

There's been several recordings of his wonderful piano quintet 'over the years', including a fine one in my opinion (by itself) on an Arabesque CD some years back... haven't heard others yet but not surprised if some are better still (for all that I esteem that one and I do.)
How's the (start of the) Naxos recording of his string quartets- maybe-- if possible, just suggesting :)- putting aside comparisons with the older series, which had the advantage of the Leningrad Taneev Quartet (a really fine quartet which did integral recordings of Taneev's and Myaskovsky's quartets among other pieces) in its favor? (Have actually only heard their Myaskovsky set, not yet their Taneev set. But they were a very good group...)
Eric

Amphissa

I love the music of Taneyev and have (I think) almost every commercial recording released of his music as well as some broadcast recordings.

His "St John of Damascus" is arguably the most beautiful choral work ever written for Russian voices. I am not a huge fan or choral music, but this one grabs me every time.

The "Suite de Concert", op. 28, is a splendid violin concerto (in all but name)

The "Oresteia' overture is his most delicious shorter orchestral piece.

These are the three large scale works that I consider his best, other than the 4th symphony. They are available in many assorted couplings, which can make for confusing purchasing choices.

There are some outstanding recordings of the "Suite de Concert". Oistrakh was the dedicatee of the work, premiered it, and made the first recording, which is coupled with the Khachaturian Violin Concerto on an EMI Great Recordings of the Century CD. The same Oistrakh recording is coupled with Rostrapovich's exceptionally fine recording of Myaskovsky's beautiful Cello Concerto. The third recommendable CD is Ashkenazy's coupling of the "Suite de Concert" with the "Oresteia" overture and other orchestral extracts from that opera. This is a first rate recording of the violin piece, coupled with perhaps the best recording of the "Oresteia" overture -- in better audio than the other two. So, go for the coupling that interests you most.

With a deep sense of revulsion, I'll recommend the Pletnev recording of "John of Damascus." The alternative recordings are not as good, plus it is coupled with Rachmaninoff's magnificent choral symphony "The Bells." There are better recordings of "The Bells", but if you do not have it in your collection, this is a good coupling.

If you are as disgusted as I am by Pletnev, I'd say to go with Sanderling. I really do not like Fedoseyev's approach to music at all, Polyansky is kinda mushy sounding, and Golovanov is eccentric.

If you do not go with Ashkenazy's recording of the "Oresteia" overture, the next best recording is by Jarvi, coupled with a very good recording of Taneyev's 4th symphony. You already have the 4th, but if you do not have Jarvi's recording, you might decide it is worth the investment. Very good audio.

As for the chamber music, the big chamber music competition/festival in Russia is rightfully named after Taneyev. Although some of the string quartets can be a bit dry, I really like the Piano Trio and the Piano Quartet.  There are several fine recordings of the Piano Trio. I like the Borodin Trio's recording, but there is no coupling. The Taneyev Quartet coupled the Piano Trio with the Trio for Two Violins and Viola, an unusual instrumentation. The couple of both the Piano Trio and the Piano Quartet can be had on a CD by the Mendelssohn Piano Trio.

Once again, if your disgust permits, the recording of the Piano Trio coupled with the Piano Quintet is well performed.

Discovery of the music of Taneyev was one of my great unsung adventures, and his music remains among my favorite of the unsungs.

eschiss1

Apparently there was also a recording by the Odeon Trio of Taneyev's piano trio (to distinguish it from his numerous string trios, I will write that out in full :) ) with one by Alexander Tcherpenin. Has anyone heard that recording?...
Eric

Mark Thomas

QuoteIf you are as disgusted as I am by Pletnev
Isn't someone innocent until they're proved guilty?

Peter1953

Thank you all very much for your valuable suggestions!

I've followed Amphissa's recommendation and ordered the Suite de Concert coupled with Myaskowsky's Cello Concerto (I think his VC op. 44 is beautiful, I have Repin's performance).
I also ordered Taneyev's Piano Quintet and Piano Trio on DG, which is a good recommendation from Alan, and, like Mark suggests, his Symphonies 1&3 under Polyansky (also because I like his performances of 2&4). BTW, quite a lot of his String Quartets are available. Where to start?

khorovod

Quote from: Amphissa on Tuesday 28 September 2010, 00:19

The "Suite de Concert", op. 28, is a splendid violin concerto (in all but name)
sorted couplings, which can make for confusing purchasing choices.

There are some outstanding recordings of the "Suite de Concert". Oistrakh was the dedicatee of the work, premiered it, and made the first recording, which is coupled with the Khachaturian Violin Concerto on an EMI Great Recordings of the Century CD.

Are you sure about this, I hadn't heard this fact mentioned before? I thought the concert suite was written in 1909, when Oistrakh was only one year old. Oistrakh's debut was at aged 6 in Odessa a year before Taneyev died and he didn't enter Odessa conservatory for several more years after that. It all seems unlikely given the dates.

eschiss1

Agreed- the preface to the MPH edition of the Concert Suite mentions Oistrakh's championship of the work but no such dedication, and confirms the 1909 composition date.
Eric

Amphissa

Ack! My apology. It was Myaskovsky's Violin Concerto dedicated to Oistrakh, not Taneyev's Suite de Concert. Not sure where that notion came from.

I've had a bad cold for a week and have been eating antihistamines. So I may have gotten that wrong too, but I'm too groggy to look anything up.

Revilod

I can vouch for the quality of the DG recording of the Piano Quintet and Trio. By an odd coincidence, just two days ago I posted a review of it on Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taneyev-Piano-Quintet-Trio/dp/B0009AM5GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285698284&sr=1-1

By the way, do any other forum members write online reviews? Shouldn't we all be spreading the word?!

eschiss1

Quote from: Revilod on Tuesday 28 September 2010, 19:29
I can vouch for the quality of the DG recording of the Piano Quintet and Trio. By an odd coincidence, just two days ago I posted a review of it on Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taneyev-Piano-Quintet-Trio/dp/B0009AM5GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285698284&sr=1-1

By the way, do any other forum members write online reviews? Shouldn't we all be spreading the word?!
It seems that Oistrakh was the dedicatee of Myaskovsky's and his (Mya's) student Khachaturian's violin concertos, yes.

Alan Howe

Yes, I have written one or two at Amazon - but they have to be well done. A badly written review (all puff, no argument or evidence) can be counter-productive. Nevertheless, it's a good point and a sure-fire way of attracting customers if done well.

Jamie

By the way, do any other forum members write online reviews?

On amazon.com, I have posted reviews of the DG recording of Taneyev's Piano Quintet as well as 3 Raff recordings: the recent Tra Nguyen recordings of Die Tageszeiten and the Suite for Piano and Orchestra, and the Trio Opus 8's version of Piano Trios 1 and 4.