Geijer & Randel string quartets from Sterling

Started by Sharkkb8, Friday 16 November 2018, 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I've just received (but haven't yet listened to) an advance copy of this CD. Both composers are Swedish. Erik Geijer (1783-1847) was an amateur composer of chamber music and songs. His 2nd String Quartet dates from 1822. Andreas Randel (1806-1864) was a professional musician who composed violin concertos, chamber works and songs "in the late style of Haydn and early Beethoven". No date is given for his string quartet. The recordings were made by Swedish Radio in 1977.

Alan Howe

We'll look forward to your report on the music in due course...

Sharkkb8

Alan Howe

Can't help feeling that Sterling has lost its way...

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 16 November 2018, 23:43
Can't help feeling that Sterling has lost its way...

I went to Sterling's website first before posting about this cd, and unless I missed it, this cd is nowhere to be found, on their own site - the most current "new release" mention is a disc from last month.  The only thing within a few degrees of separation on their site is this Theatre/Overture album, with an Andreas Randel work I wouldn't dream of trying to pronounce.....Värmlänningarna.      :o

http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cds1009d.html

Martin Eastick

This quartet by Andreas Randel IS the same as that on the Musica Sveciae CD, which I have had since it was released - and now will have to reacquaint myself with as it is many years since I last listened to it! All I can say is that I can remember both the Randel and Lindblad (quintet) works as being most pleasant, of their time, but certainly not ground-breaking! It will however be good to have one of Erik Gustaf Geijer's string quartets available for the first time AFAIK. It is a great pity that his rather delightful piano quartet (in E minor) which was originally released on LP with some of his songs, has never been reissued as a CD. Also available at one time on LP were his two sonatas for piano duet which have also been published in a new modern edition (2000) by Edition Reimers in their invaluable Monumenta Musicae Svecicae anthology.   

Mark Thomas

I've just listened to the Randel quartet and found it pleasant, as Martin remembers, but also anonymous. The booklet notes (which are mostly about the performers, and barely mention the music) give no clue as to its date of composition but stylistically it's typical of works being written in the transition period between the classical and romantic musical eras. Melodically it has something to offer, and the slow movement does have some emotional depth but, although it's not a work in the "brilliant" style, it's otherwise a piece which stays pretty much on the surface. The Norköpping Quartet do make the best case possible for it, though.

Randel's Värmlänningarna Overture, on the other hand (and thanks for the link to the Sterling CD, Sharkkb8) is a ramshackle, but enjoyably atmospheric early-romantic piece, which is none the worse for clearly being heavily influenced by Weber and Mendelssohn. I can recommend the various other obscure Swedish early-romantic overtures on the CD, by the way, which is also available as a reasonably-priced download from Presto Classical.

Mark Thomas

As for the Geijer string quartet, it's an accomplished piece of work for an amateur musician. Generally serious in vein, stylistically it's firmly in the late classical camp. Once again, the Norköpping Quartet do a Sterling job (pun intended), but it's not really my cup of tea.

Gareth Vaughan

I had a feeling this might be a CD I could do without. There is more interesting repertoire on which to spend my dwindling resources.

Alan Howe