Note re Sibley, digitizing, etc.- just quick note

Started by eschiss1, Monday 27 September 2010, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Sibley Digitizing (urresearch.rochester.edu ) is doing some relatively major uploadings of full scores this past week - concertos, symphonies from their collection. Mostly just a half-dozen to a dozen lesser-known works at a time, but today they've already put in symphonies by Scholz, Rudorff, Rüfer, Emil Hartmann, and others (and Louis Glass' symphony no. 5 preceded them last Friday.) Am transferring some to IMSLP as part of the mirroring project, as are others. I hope this will encourage interest in the better of these scores, of course... and since for many of them the parts exist somewhere (not alas for Rubinstein symphony 3, or rather not until recently, where I gather a student had to create the parts anew from the score before a performance and recording could be undertaken awhile back?) a conductor could go somewhere from there.
Eric

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Eric. Sibley really are to be commended for doing this. As I believe Gareth has said previously, isn't this what all the major library collections should be doing? The technology is hardly cutting edge now and libraries should be about making their holdings feely available, not locking them away and charging us £100 to copy for scores (as I had to shell out to the British Library for Raff's Die Tageszeiten!)

thalbergmad

Mark

I almost did the same on the Raff, but thankfully I checked the Jurgen Hoflich catalogue first and there it was for 29 Euros.

As for Sibley, this is really superb work. Rather infuriatingly, they scanned the Chopin-Nicode Concert Allegro within 5 days of me spending 6 hours digitalising the same score.

Thal

Mark Thomas

The copy which Höflich used, Thal, was the one which I'd originally had copied by the BL for use in the Sterling CD project!

eschiss1

As to the 2 Berger symphonies that someone mentioned they very much wished to hear (understandably, as far as I know...), the scores seem to be at the Boston Public Library which has yet to start on such a program, and I do not know anywhere else at this time.