2 "World Premier" recordings (Davïdov, Liadov) Naxos: "19th Century Cello Music"

Started by Sharkkb8, Friday 17 May 2019, 00:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

Naxos is releasing a cd featuring cellist Dmitrii Khrychev, including a couple of pieces they designate as "World Premier Recordings" - Davïdov "Fantasy on Russian Songs", op. 7, and Liadov "Fantasy on Gipsy Songs".  (also Tchaikovsky's very sung Rococo Variations, but in the "original version for cello & piano").  Presto & Amazon release date: June 14. 

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8617834--19th-century-russian-cello-music

https://www.amazon.com/Dmitrii-Khrychev-Century-Russian-Cello/dp/B07QQHLVVP/ref=sr_1_171?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1558045988&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249114011&rnid=1249111011&s=music&sr=1-171

Alan Howe

khorovod

Quote from: Sharkkb8 on Friday 17 May 2019, 00:03
Naxos is releasing a cd featuring cellist Dmitrii Khrychev, including a couple of pieces they designate as "World Premier Recordings" - Davïdov "Fantasy on Russian Songs", op. 7, and Liadov "Fantasy on Gipsy Songs".  (also Tchaikovsky's very sung Rococo Variations, but in the "original version for cello & piano").  Presto & Amazon release date: June 14. 

It's not really repertoire that appeals to me but I'm sure it will be of interest to some so thanks for the heads up, Sharkkb8.  :)

I'd like to hang around and make snide, dismissive and frankly rude comments every time someone links to recordings of or mentions music I'm not interested in but thankfully the fact that I have decent manners and I'm quite busy precludes that.

Alan Howe

'Huh' seems to me an entirely appropriate reaction to the designation 'world premier recordings' being attached to these rather unimportant pieces when there are so many much more important pieces languishing unrecorded. If this is dismissive as regards the music, it's not meant to be - it's simply frustration. I've spent the last few days listening to works by Wilhelm Berger, one of the most eminent composers in the German tradition, wondering why such palpably great music has never been commercially recorded. That's what lay behind my 'huh'.

However, I trust that many will enjoy the delights of the new Naxos CD. I just hope that its success might encourage Naxos to commit Berger to disc some day. Of course, there's room for both - but at the moment we can't hear both! Hence my 'huh'!

TerraEpon

I wasn't intending to make it dismissive or rude. It was more of "That's interesting, but I don't have much to say about it yet", and it seems to come a bit out of left field. It doesn't hugely excite me, but at the same time I'll be checking it out.

Though now that I see it's by the known Liadov's father, I'm perhaps a little less interested...