Emilie Mayer - Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2

Started by britishcomposer, Sunday 07 July 2019, 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Btw I hope the Minnesota Sinfonia reschedules their planned performance of her first symphony from March to later this year if possible!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

sdtom

I just received a digital file of the CPO recording and it is a fine one although I have nothing to compare it with. Someone said to me she is a female Beethoven which I don't think so. She has her own unique style.

Hector

A female Beethoven? Given the extant portraits I can't imagine that would be a pretty.

hyperdanny

I'm not PC-obsessed, but still....if we where talking about a male composer, I don't think that "prettiness", or the lack of it, would ever be a matter of discussion, for sure not above of before musical value.
it's true that Mayer gets this stale female-Beethoven label for I believe commercial reasons, but we're not selling cd's, we buy them and discuss them...we should know better, especially considering the tremendous stature and individuality of her music.

Hector

1. It was a joke at Beethoven's expense not Mayer's.
2. It satirises the pointlessness of the comparison to Beethoven - for the reasons explained above!
3. It contains an accidental 'a'.
4. I may well acquire the Mayer Cd.

Gareth Vaughan

I certainly took it as such, Hector - and it gave me a chuckle. Beethoven was also known to be rather a dirty man and is said to have told one young lady who complained to him of his unwashed appearance: "When I am famous and wealthy, no one will care." One would hope that Emile Mayer's personal hygiene was everything that should be expected of a young lady of the period.

Mark Thomas

And with that, let us return from the finer points of 19th century toilette to music.

Kevin

dhibbard

I found that CD on Amazon also a while back esp. the Piano Concerto??   any thoughts??

Alan Howe

Kevin

I was disappointed in this release. The symphonies never struck me as being individual enough, of course that's to be expected for a composers first attempt, still it doesn't make for pleasant listening experience. They sound melodically too similar to Schumann as well, blandly orchestrated to boot. I actually feel bad I didn't enjoy them more because I was looking forward to them. Maybe it's just me. (the performance is good, I've got no other reference to go by though)

dhibbard

hmm...  interesting I had the same thought... I had to look again at my CD player to assure I was not listening to Schumann or others.   

Alan Howe

I think the comparison of Mayer's first two symphonies with Schumann is unfair to Mayer. These are evidently early attempts at the form; her later symphonies, e.g. nos. 4 and 7, are rather more striking.