Franz Lachner's 2nd & 4th symphonies; an appeal.

Started by John H White, Monday 12 August 2019, 16:04

Previous topic - Next topic

tpaloj

Some good news: I have finished recreating the 4th Symphony in its entirety!

With this we now have some point of reference to all of Lachner's unrecorded symphonies, thanks to valuable efforts of Gerd and John with the 2nd & 6th as well. I hope this will reach John – it is first and foremost thanks to his enthusiasm that has led to the realization of this project.

All movements, repeats and instruments are included. Tempi are as Lachner has specified in the manuscript with an exception for the Finale: I took a slightly slower pace due to dynamics/playback issues. Time stamps for all four movements can be found in the description of the Youtube video.

This was a very laborious task: we have a 23-minute opening movement; and besides the Finale running up to 90 manuscript pages..! I welcome everyone to share their opinions and impressions on this behemoth of a symphony...

https://youtu.be/5UYqVd0OBRw

Gareth Vaughan

Well done, sir! What a task. Would it be possible to see the score you produced? I always like to listen to a piece of music with the score if at all possible.

Mark Thomas

This is a terrific job, tpaloj, thank you so much. I have also enjoyed your realisation of Moszkowski's D major Overture.

tpaloj

Thank you Gareth! Unfortunately the score I have at the moment wouldn't look optimal - it would need some further editing work to be presentable.

In the meantime if it works for you the full manuscript is available on IMSLP, and all things considered it's pretty readable. Of course contrary to modern tradition Lachner places the horns in between clarinets and bassoons. The timpani line is usually placed in between trombones and trumpets. The ad lib. piccolo part is always at the foot of the score. Hope that helps!

Alan Howe

I admire without reservation anyone who can persist with such a task. Thanks so much.

My first reaction, though, is to think that 58 minutes is far too long. Compared to, say Rufinatscha's last Symphony in D, there's just too much 'busy-ness' and not enough variety.

Question: are there repeats that could be excised to the work's advantage? (Or would that be sacrilege?)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteUnfortunately the score I have at the moment wouldn't look optimal - it would need some further editing work to be presentable.

I fully understand. I'll use the MS scan at IMSLP, but it would be really good to see your score when you have tidied it to your satisfaction, if that would be ok.

eschiss1

Mind if I link your recording somewhere on the IMSLP page (maybe under NonCommercialRecordings?)

tpaloj

Thank you Alan and Mark.
Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 28 January 2020, 12:40Question: are there repeats that could be excised to the work's advantage? (Or would that be sacrilege?)

Well, this symphony was reportedly performed at Wien in 1836 to great success: "a solid and wonderfully worked masterpiece" but the performance was "too brief in duration or presence" as they say, however that might be interpreted! In any case, there is room to negotiate omitting some of the taxing exposition repeats, namely in the first movement (five minutes altogether) and other bits later here and there. Perhaps around 10 minutes of cuts would work without compromising the overall form.
Quote"... Einen andern Hochgenuss bereitete uns Hr. Kapellmeister Lachner aus Mannheim, indem er während einer allzukurzen Anwesenheit seine vierte Symphonie in E dur, ein gediegenes, herrlich gearbeitetes Meisterwerk, zu Gehör brachte. ..." -AMZ Vol 38, no 7, 1836

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 28 January 2020, 16:13
Mind if I link your recording somewhere on the IMSLP page (maybe under NonCommercialRecordings?)
Sure, that's fine!

Alan Howe

QuoteEinen andern Hochgenuss bereitete uns Hr. Kapellmeister Lachner aus Mannheim, indem er während einer allzukurzen Anwesenheit seine vierte Symphonie in E dur, ein gediegenes, herrlich gearbeitetes Meisterwerk, zu Gehör brachte. ..

Allow me, though, to correct your translation because it's important:

<<The Director of Music (Kapellmeister) from Mannheim, Herr Lachner, gave us another special treat during his all-too short stay by leading a performance of his Fourth Symphony in E major, a dignified and superbly crafted masterpiece.>>

In other words, it wasn't the performance that was all-too brief, but his stay (literally 'presence' - Anwesenheit) in Vienna. There is no reference at all to the work's duration.

eschiss1

I hope I may thank you both for your hard and (for me at least) rewarding work in recreating these symphonies. All I could ask would be mp3 versions of the 4th symphony :D but to paraphrase a famous movie line, one has the moon, why ask for the stars... (edit: hrm. actually, the online youtube-mp3 converter y2mate seems to have succeeded in doing so. Failed on the first try, succeeded on the second.)

gprengel

Dear Tuomas! I just listened this work while following it with the autograph from the IMSPL website and can just marvel about the huge labour which you undertook to make this rendition for us possible - thank you!

Of this symphony I think the Allegro of the first movement is the most convincing part of the symphony: I like the lovely Allegro main theme and especially the passages starting at, 4:53, 5:59 (fantastic!!) and 7:16 at the end of the exposition, the great development from 13:50 - 17:00  and the whole recapitulation/Coda ... really a great movement! The other movements,however, unfortuneately  could not speak to me that much so far ... of these I liked the final part of the Andante the most (39:55 ...). I will listen to the work some more times ...

By now I have written to several orchestras and various persons regarding the 6th and 2nd symphony but unfortuneately haven't got a substancial response yet ...

Gerd

eschiss1

btw the Esser arrangement of the Lachner 7th symphony is digitized @ BSB I think.

gprengel

I must admit that when I heard this symphony the first time I appreciated only the first Allegro, but by now as I listened to it over and over again I love the whole work with all its movements!! Thank you again, Tuomas, for this great achievement you have done! Can you also present the score to us?

Gerd