Re: Arseny Nikolayevich Koreshchenko 1870-1921

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 01 October 2019, 11:18

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Arseny Nikolayevich Koreshchenko  Born Moscow 18 December 1870 –  Died Khakiv 6 January 1921

From the age of three he began playing the piano and was soon after making up his own compositions.  At eight he played before Anton Rubenstein who, very impressed, suggested he study more formally. He studied piano with Nikolas Zverev and composition and theory with Anton Arensky. He started at the Moscow Conservatory in 1884 and graduated in 1891.  His principal teachers being Sergei Taneyev and Anton Arensky. He followed this by teaching at the Conservatory while also appearing as a pianist and composing.  In 1919 he moved to Kharkiv where he remained for the rest of his life.

Orchestral

Lyrical Symphony  in A flat  Op.23  lost?
Armenian suite for orchestra, 1. Au ruissail, Scherzo, 3. Tempo di valse, 4. Danse Armeniene, 5. Finale (Lesghina)  Op.20  also for piano 4 hands   pub. by W Bessel & Cie
Barcarolle  Op.6  1891
Rasskaz - A Story  Op.11
A Poetic scene  Op.12
Two symphonic sketches  Op.14
Scenes Nocturnes  Op.21
Concerto Fanatasy  in D minor  Op.3  1893   pub. by W Bessel & Cie

Chamber

String Quartet  in A  Op.25  lost ?
Melodie for violin and piano  Op.4   pub. by W Bessel & Cie
Two pieces for cello and piano  Op.34 1.Sonnet d'amour  2. Barcarolle   pub. by Jurgenson

Piano

Trois Morceaux  Op.1   pub. by Gutheil  1893
Six Morceaux;  Op.19  Tendre reproche, Humouresque, Mazurka-Reverie, Etude de Concert, Valse, Etude-scherzo. pub. by W Bessel & cie
Suite Armenian  Op. 20 for piano 4 hands adapted from orchestral version.
Scenes Enfantines - six pieces  Op.22; 1. Ogre, 2. Au mois de mai, 3. Petite Marche, 4. Complainte, 5. Menuet a la Mozart, 6.Valse a la Neapolitaine.     pub. by W Bessel & Cie
Quatre Morceaux  Op.30 Nocturne, Gavotte, Rhapsodie Georgienne  No.1, Rhapsodie Georgienne  No.2  1897  pub. by Jurgenson
Trois Morceaux  Op.33  1. On fait la Charmante, 2, Feuill d'album, 3.Air de Ballet.   pub. by Jurgenson  18198
Sept Characteristiques; Prelude, Intermezzo, Arev-Barcarolle, Une page de mes memoires, Question doulourcuse, Impromptu.  Op.40  pub. by Oliver Ditson  1915
Morceaux  Op.47

Song

Crane  song for voice and piano  1894   pub. by Grosse
Six Romances for voice and piano  Op.2 pub. by Gutheil  1893
Six Romances and two Melodeclamations  words by Konstantin Romanov   pub. by W Bessel & Cie  1893
Five Romances for voice and piano  Op.26  pub. by Jurgenson  1897
Eight Romances for voice and piano  OP.28   pub. by Jurgenson  1897
Five Romances for voice and piano  Op.36   pub. by Jurgenson  1900
Ten Romances for voice and piano  Op.41   pub. by Jurgensonb  1907

Choral

Don Juan  cantata  Op.5  1891
Prologue for the 25th anniversary of the Moscow Conservatory for chorus and orchestra  Op.9  lost ?
Fantastic Suite for chorus and orchestra  Op.21  1894
Musical Pictures for chorus and orchestra  - including Georgian songs Op.27  1897
Three secular choruses and Melodeclamation  Op.29   pub. by Jurgenson
Armenian Songs for chorus  Op8/13
Choruses for Children  Op.37

Stage

The Magic Morror -  ballet in 4 acts  Op.39  1902  pub. by Gutheil
The Trojan Women,  incidental music to Euripides play, overture, entr'acts, choruses  Op.15  1892
Iphigeniia in Aulis,  incidental music to Euripides play  Op.18  1894
Twelfth Night, Incidental music to Shakespeare play

Opera

Belshazzar's Feast  1892  Op.7  pub. by Gutheil
Angel of Death  from story by M. Lermontov  Op.10  1893
The Ice Palace(The Ice House)  libretto by Modeste Tchaikovsky  Op.38   pub. by Gutheil

Christopher

As far as I know, the only (orchestral) piece of his that has been recorded is a suite from his ballet The Magic Mirror, on an old Melodiya record.  Someone has put it on youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MuuUnYs56g

(Please note the typo in his first name in the title of this thread - Arseny, not Aresny....Also in the list above you write "Magic Morror"...)

The Krakoviak from the same ballet is not included in the suite, but can be downloaded here https://www.russian-records.com/details.php?image_id=23540&sessionid=u50c3mo1qcdq3rjiaiejl5ei16

semloh

Thanks for the YT link, Christopher. I am really enjoying the Suite. To my ears, it's a fine, crisp performance and the young violinist nicely captures the changing moods. It certainly makes me want to hear more of Koreshchenko's music. Do you know what the ballet is about?

giles.enders

The ballet was realised by the choreographer M.I.Petipa and is based on a Hans Anderson tale.  It was in the repertory of the Bolshoi for many years.

Christopher

Quote from: semloh on Friday 04 October 2019, 08:24
Thanks for the YT link, Christopher. I am really enjoying the Suite. To my ears, it's a fine, crisp performance and the young violinist nicely captures the changing moods. It certainly makes me want to hear more of Koreshchenko's music. Do you know what the ballet is about?

There's a Russian wikipedia entry for "Magic mirror" ("Volshebnoe zerkalo") - it doesn't say it's a fairy tale, rather a mythical object:  "A magical mirror is a mirror in which, according to an ancient Eastern and very widespread legend, one can see what is being done all over the world, both the past and the future. Such a property was attributed to the mirror of the Japanese sun goddess Amateras, the magic cup of the Persian solar hero Jamshid and the mirror of Dionysus. Of the medieval warlocks, Agrippa von Nettesheim (1486-1535) claimed that he could make a similar mirror of seven metals"    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Волшебное_зеркало

semloh

Thanks, Christopher. It's interesting but a strange basis for a ballet - no worries, the music is enjoyable in any case!

Christopher

Quote from: semloh on Friday 04 October 2019, 08:24
...and the young violinist nicely captures the changing moods...

:)

(OKOK, Stadler was young when it was recorded!)

semloh

Ah, well, it's all relative of course. To me he's still young, Christopher!  ;D