Site has been slow lately..

Started by TerraEpon, Tuesday 22 October 2019, 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Past while I've noticed the forums have been quite slow for me. No idea if it's a universal thing and it's not glacial per se, but it's quite noticeable.

Alan Howe

I'd noticed this too. Seems to be quicker today, though...

Mark Thomas

I agree, but thought is was because I'm not accessing it from home. If it persists I'll speak to the hosting company once I get back in a couple of days. Bear with me.

Mark Thomas

I have been live chatting with the host company's tech support, who have not only so far been unable to identify the problem, but also managed to slow the site even further. My apologies for this, but in the meantime rest assured that I'm doing all I can to put things right.

Mark Thomas

For me at least the site is loading marginally faster again, the hosting company having run all their troubleshooting tests, optimised the database and declared all is hunky-dory at their end. That said, it's not as fast as it was, and I suspect this is due to the fact that the version of forum software UC is based upon is now not optimised with the hosting company's database server software. Too much detail for many of you I'm sure, but the upshot is that in a couple of days I'll install an updated version of the software which runs UC, in the hope that this will rectify the problem as the hosting company assure me it will. I'll probably do that on Monday 27 October. There may be some disruption to the site, some things may not look the same etc., but please bear with me. Rest assured that before I do anything I'll back up all our messages, so the combined wisdom of over a decade won't be lost....

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mark. Best wishes as you do the update...

Alan Howe

Seems UC should now be renamed UB - as in Usain Bolt. It's really speeded up!

Kevin

Mark Thomas

Yep, back to the old speed, but the odd thing is that I haven't yet carried out the update. Seems like JustHost (the hosting company) has done something after all. I'll probably leave well alone and not implement the software update now. Sleeping dogs etc.

Alan Howe

To save Mark the bother of posting, we are aware that UC is slow at the moment, but never fear - Mark's on the case!