News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dorati's Haydn

Started by mbhaub, Wednesday 17 June 2009, 06:23

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

I see that the old Dorati Haydn symphony set on Decca/London is once again being released -- this time in one box at a great price. I've never collected too much music from this era, but I do have the Haydn Paris and London symphonies and few early ones. I guess it's about time I get to know the man's output. So, does anyone have an opinion on the set? Would the Nimbus set be a better choice? I have to admit that the Nimbus mp3 set is very appealing if only for the fact that it takes up so little shelf space. The Dorati's are in a thicker box, but for sure take up much less space than their original incarnation.

Kevin Pearson

Wow! At just a little over $2.00 a disc I might have to get this set! I already own two of the box sets released on the London lable of this series but I probably would spend more than that trying to find the rest of the series.

Kevin

Mark Thomas

Martin, as it happens, although Haydn isn't really my thing, I was given the whole Dorati set as mp3s by a friend. I'm away from home at present but I think that this month's Gramophone or IRR carried a very favourable review of the Nimbus mp3 set which clearly preferred the performances and interpretations over Dorati's. I can't remember the grounds for this preference unfortunately, nor what was said about sound quality.

Alan Howe

Friends may wish to know that Sony are to bring out the complete Haydn symphonies with Denis Russell Davies conducting the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/fb2168f227aec203db41480801eeeed3/classic/detail/-/art/Joseph-Haydn-Symphonien-Nr-1-104/hnum/3866386

I am personally waiting for this set to be reviewed before deciding on which one to buy.

mbhaub

Wow -- I had no idea about this. 49 Euros translates to what, $75 US -- not much more than the Dorati. That's a major investment for Sony to be doing this, too. How many sets could they possibly sell? I guess I should wait a few months and see what develops. Or, wait a year or so and pick up one of them from Berkshire at less than half the current price!  ;)

Steven Eldredge

I collected the orginal LPs when I was in college, and I recently bought the boxed set of CDs. Quite a bargain, and I must say the interpretations hold up and the sound quality is beautiful Decca 1970s vintage.

With 104 symphonies there are so many treasures to be discovered beyond the more known Paris and London works. If you like Haydn, you cannot go wrong to purchase this set, I assure you.