Zolotareff - Fete Villageoise

Started by Reverie, Tuesday 03 December 2019, 09:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

A decent quality virtual performance (with score) which I recently compiled. It's an early work, about ten mintues in length. Accomplished orchestration and vibrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEUVe41GmeU

semloh

The music matches the title perfectly. It's joyful and full of life, and I think it deserves a recording. Thanks, Reverie.

Mark Thomas

What an impressive virtual orchestra.

Christopher

Thank you Reverie.  And I must agree with both the comments above this one.  What was it that drew you to this piece in particular?  Do you plan to look at any of his other works? 

His wikipedia entry dwells on the fact that his Hebrew Rhapsody received coverage in the New York Times in 1905 when it was performed - though without saying if it was any good! - "Rhapsodie hébraïque - The New York Times wrote of Zolotarev's Rhapsodie hébraïque that it was "based on Hebrew melodies now used in Russia... among the Jewish families of the lower classes. ... [Zolotarev] found that upon a Hebrew racial idiom there had been grafted some of the characteristic of Russian music just as the irreducible language of the Jews in any country is overlaid by a few words or modes of expression belonging to the land of their environment. Thus the melodies... are the musical equivalent of Yiddish." They described the melodies as "built upon an Oriental scale... [whose] earmark is an augmented interval instead of that found in the diatonic scale between the third and fourth notes." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zolotarev

Reverie

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I guess Fetes Villageoise appealed on reading through the score initially. Once I started getting the notes down and listening I was hooked. Also it's not too long!

I have indeed started the Rhapsodie Hebraique but at the moment I'm sifting through a lot of Mihalovich downloads which are proving a distraction, albeit a pleasant one  :)

dhibbard

Can you tell us what program you used for this recording??   Great job !!  Yes the Hebrew Rhapsody is a bit longer and was written up in The NY Times. 

Reverie

I used Sibelius with NotePerformer.

dhibbard

OK  thank you.   As a part time musician, I will try that out with Sibelius software (I have) and see if I can get Sym #1 in the works.

dhibbard

I just uploaded the first movement of Zolotareff's Sym #1 into Sibelius software.... what a mess....Abeliovich's Sym #4 first movement went smooth.

Christopher

So, what's the outcome with the Zolotareff?

dhibbard

still a mess.  It won't play until then