New Violin Concertos to discover

Started by Kevin, Wednesday 25 December 2019, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Gentlemen, I need some help. I'd like to know what are some unsung violin concertos to listen to. I've got by Raff, Stanford, Reinecke, Eduard Franck, Gernsheim, there must surely be many others. Thanks in advance.

izdawiz

Mark Thomas

Eduard Lassen's and Philip Scharwenka's, coupled on a Hyperion Romantic Violin Concertos series CD. Both excellent works, as is Goldmark's concerto, available on several CDs.

Alan Howe

Gade, Dietrich, H.Graedener/Grädener, Borgström, Koczalski, Rubinstein, Svendsen, Sinding (x3), Dubois, Mlynarski (x2), Juon (x3), Herzogenberg, Graener, Klingler, Schillings, Weingartner, Vieuxtemps (x5), Wieniawski (x2), Goetz, Glazunov, Busoni, Aulin (x3), Karlowicz, Suk (Fantasy), Somervell, Lassen, Godard, Moszkowski, Bortkiewicz, Joachim (x3), Röntgen in A minor, Klughardt, Hubay (x4), Widor, Lalo (x2), and many more...

Concertos in bold type are favourites of mine.

dhibbard

Petr Podkovyrov's  Concerto -Poem for Violin and Orchestra     Podkovyrov is a Belarusian composer and studied under Vasili Zolotarev (who studied under Rimsky-Korsakov).   Tht recording is at the Art-Music Forum and I have a copy of the full score.   

Kevin

QuotePetr Podkovyrov's  Concerto -Poem for Violin and Orchestra     Podkovyrov is a Belarusian composer and studied under Vasili Zolotarev (who studied under Rimsky-Korsakov).   Tht recording is at the Art-Music Forum and I have a copy of the full score.

Interesting. Could I get I direct link to the recording though? I'm not wild about searching for things... :)

dhibbard

L. Gorelik, Violin
B. Afanasiev - conductor
Belarussian State Symphony Orchestra

actually a very nice piece... on the Accord label 10" LP...kinda dusty but nice melodies throughout the piece.

Source: Melodiya LP recording

2010 is the centennial of the birth of Petr Petrovich Podkovyrov. One of the first composition graduates of the Belarusian State Conservatoire in Minsk (in 1937), he studied composition with Vasily Andreyevich Zolotaryov, who himself had studied with Mily Balakirev and Anatoly Liadov and later with Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov. Thus Podkovyrov's "compositional ancestry" can be traced to the 19th century group of Russian nationalist composers known as "The Five."

During the Great Patriotic War (Russian term for World War II) Podkovyrov evacuated 1200 miles southeast from Minsk to Maikop in the Caucasus mountains. It was during this evacuation (1943-44) that he composed 24 Preludes. After the war he was invited to teach at the Belarusian State Conservatoire (now the Belarusian State Academy of Music).

Kevin

Thank you good Sir for the download and interesting info on Podkovyrov.

alberto

Schoeck, Respighi ("All'Antica" and Gregoriano), Wolf-Ferrari, Hahn, Arensky, Castelnuovo-Tedesco ("Italiano" and "I Profeti"), Berwald

Alan Howe

QuoteI'm not wild about searching for things...

Start with Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - or Presto Classical and jpc.de.

How on earth do you think we find these works?

Kevin

My eyesights not the best... I struggle with eye strain looking at screens.

Christopher

Quote from: dhibbard on Thursday 26 December 2019, 06:35
Petr Podkovyrov's  Concerto -Poem for Violin and Orchestra     Podkovyrov is a Belarusian composer and studied under Vasili Zolotarev (who studied under Rimsky-Korsakov).   Tht recording is at the Art-Music Forum and I have a copy of the full score.   

Surely Podkovyrov/Подковыров  (or Padkavyrau/Падкавыраў to give him his name in Belarusian) is FAR outside the remit of this forum? Born in 1910 as you say...

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 25 December 2019, 20:59
....Rubinstein,

Alan - is there a particular recording of it that you recommend? I have only listened to the Naxos with Takako Nishizaki on the violin with the Slovak Philharmonic under Michael Halasz, and thought that it was the most boring piece of music I had ever heard (just honestly saying what I thought at the time).  Admittedly that was on first listening, but I didn't give it another go, and it was about 10 years ago....

Christopher

Quote from: Kevin S on Wednesday 25 December 2019, 10:56
Gentlemen, I need some help. I'd like to know what are some unsung violin concertos to listen to. I've got by Raff, Stanford, Reinecke, Eduard Franck, Gernsheim, there must surely be many others. Thanks in advance.

There are various versions of The Last Confession of Job by Artur Kapp, for violin and strong/full orchestra - available for download here - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,5673.msg72919.html#msg72919 - one of my favourite works for violin and orchestra.

Also, for violin and orchestra - the Adagio of Mavka and Lukash, from the ballet Song of the Forest, by Mykhaylo Skorulskyi - available for download here - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,6035.msg67808.html#msg67808