Ernst Lübeck (1829-1876): 'Concerto Symphonique'

Started by 4candles, Thursday 09 January 2020, 15:05

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Dear all

I have a nasty habit of trying to locate seriously hard to find scores, by (often) perhaps negligible composers.

Here is one work (by a not-negligible, but highly regarded pianist of the time) that I've been intrigued about whilst reading up on the composer within the last few years.

Few of Ernst Lübeck's published works survive. His Concerto Symphonique for piano and orchestra was never published, but was programmed several times by the composer in his native Netherlands as well as in Paris. No trace of the work seems to have survived, other than an autographed copy of the first few bars (in reduction).

From what I have read, it could be a pretty strong piece of music if rediscovered.

If anyone might have any leads regarding possible places to look in the Netherlands or Paris, I would be grateful. (I've tried the main conservatoires and libraries to no avail thus far.)

Thanks
4c

dhibbard

as crazy as it sounds, try the Free Library (Fleisher Library) in the USA.. they had a lot of European works including manuscripts from the early part of the 1900s.
Assuming you checked the Sibley Library in the USA (Eastman School of Music) ... also look in WorldCat ..  believe it or not, the Library in Berlin has a lot of holdings..
also I found a lot of European scores in New Zealand... they may have been taken with the people who fled the wars there and later donated to the National Library.  Hope that helps.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

dhibbard

More than likely, this work was still in the manuscript form... therefore, one would have to research where his original papers were sent..  you may have issues of papers being destroyed during WW2... just saying.   If the manuscript was never published, then there probably is only ONE copy of the score...(which you may know already).... I see some of his piano works were published.. you could check with those publishers and see if they still have copies of manuscripts... good luck!!

4candles

Thanks for your suggestions dhibbard! Although I'm certainly aware of its vast collection of scores, I didn't actually try the Fleisher Library collection directly (having already searched via Worldcat).

I think it may be a case of researching whether the composer left any papers to his family. This could prove tricky, as Lübeck died (in an asylum?) after years of mental health problems brought on by the Paris Commune of 1871.

Gareth Vaughan

I can save you the trouble: it's not in Fleisher.  I think your best bet, tiresome as it might be, is to pursue the family connections.

eschiss1

btw existence of concerto (at one point, I mean, not necessarily current existence) confirmed here for those wanting some secondary etc.etc. There is a (Russian-language) Wikipedia article on the composer (hey, I'm always interested in the existence of a biography on a "x"-language Wikipedia; I have translation software and the WPs tend to apply more or less the same requirements. If the authors of the Wikipedia devoted to speakers of Russian get to writing the biography first, more power to them.)

A few items of his show up under Worldcat under Ernest Lübeck rather than Ernst e.g., as a VIAF search (etc.) hints might be the case. (BNF France has 1 item under "Ernest" and closer to a dozen under "Ernst" :)  - including these digitized Souvenirs de Pérou, not as substantial as his piano concerto, but if they're not at IMSLP I may upload them there, or something.)

4candles

Thanks for this supporting info eschiss1 👍.

Here is another interesting discussion about the composer (and a lovely insight into the social life of the time, too), which, if one reads on a few pages, describes Lübeck's "tragic end".

Mark Thomas

dhibbard

I'm thinking someone in Amsterdam may know.... check with Okke Westdorp Associate Director/ Head of Classical Music and Music in Education

Conservatorium van Amsterdam
Oosterdokskade 151
1011 DL Amsterdam
+31(0)20 5277550
conservatorium@ahk.nl

https://www.conservatoriumvanamsterdam.nl/en/study/classical-music/

4candles

Thanks dhibbard. I have made contact. Let's see if anything comes of it.

4c

4candles

Dear all - I have a potential lead on this work. According to a publication from the early 1900s the Concerto Symphonique was given to Hamelle (and obviously never ended up being published).

I understand Éditions Hamelle was sold to Éditions Alphonse Leduc and they are now part of a conglomerate of music publishers calling itself Wise Music!  :-\

Might anyone have a reliable contact (even an old one) for Hamelle? I have contacted Wise Music a couple of times now and have received no response.

Otherwise, where might the archives of Éditions Hamelle be found?

A long shot, but worth asking. Many thanks.

4c

eschiss1

Tangentially (apologies) has anyone heard a recording Worldcat mentions "Niederländische Klaviermusik" that contains some of his etudes Op.15 among works by others?

4candles

Yes Eric I have the recording in question. The Lübeck pieces are very nice indeed - unchallenging on the ear, but very well written. I'd love to hear the final étude from that set ('Toccata') - from what I've been able to piece together at the piano it would be a terrific encore or short piece to end a recital.