Introduce yourself here.....

Started by jerfilm, Thursday 28 October 2010, 23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: shamokin88 on Saturday 10 December 2011, 00:30
This is Shamokin88. ........

Blessings to everyone.

And to you, Edward! Good to hear all about who's behind the password!

And thank you for all those rare and amazing American uploads!
:)

Nunc Dimittis

Hello all.  My name is Eric.  I used to post sporadically over at GMG.  I am in my late 40s and currently live in Sacramento, California.  I only recently returned to the US after living for three years in Japan. 

My musical journey really took off when I discovered the music of Bax when I was in college.    Other composers whose music I like are Miaskovsky, Alwyn, Diamond, Mennin, Pettersson, Lars-Erik Larsson, Koppel, and Villa Lobos.

Thank you to those here that have taken the time to upload such wonderful music. Listened to Gipps' Symphony No. 4 last night.  I used to make digital transfers of some of my LPs (mostly of recordings on the Lyrita label, but they are all now available in official versions) or from the BBC.  I have a few other digitized recordings that I would like to share that I do not think are available commercially or here.  They are,

Carlos Chavez, Violin Concerto, with Szeryng, violin; Composer conducting.
Cyril Scott, Violin Concerto, with Charlier, violin; Brabbins, Cond.  This is from a live broadcast on the BBC.  The same forces released a version on Chandos, but I do not believe this is the same recording.  If it is, someone please let me know so I won't upload it.
Nikolai Rakov, Violin concerto No.2, with O. Kagan, violin; Järvi, Cond.
Otar Taktakishvili, Violin concerto in F minor (No. 1) with L. Issakadze, violin; Composer conducting

Mark Thomas

Welcome, Mr Dimittis. Or may I call you Nunc?  ;)

Nunc Dimittis

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 30 December 2011, 07:20

You may call me Nunc for now.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: Nunc Dimittis on Friday 30 December 2011, 15:29
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 30 December 2011, 07:20

You may call me Nunc for now.

I have to ask...do you have a cat called Magnifi?

(Sorry.)

violinconcerto

Quote from: Nunc Dimittis on Thursday 29 December 2011, 22:44
Hello all.  My name is Eric.  [...] I have a few other digitized recordings that I would like to share that I do not think are available commercially or here.  They are,

Cyril Scott, Violin Concerto, with Charlier, violin; Brabbins, Cond.  This is from a live broadcast on the BBC.  The same forces released a version on Chandos, but I do not believe this is the same recording.  If it is, someone please let me know so I won't upload it.
Otar Taktakishvili, Violin concerto in F minor (No. 1) with L. Issakadze, violin; Composer conducting

I see you obviously prefer violin concertos... that sounds interesting!  ;D
Or was this offer of 4 violin concertos just a fluke?

Best,
Tobias

Nunc Dimittis

Quote from: violinconcerto on Friday 30 December 2011, 17:26
Hello all.  My name is Eric.  [...] I have a few other digitized recordings that I would like to share that I do not think are available commercially or here.  They are,

I see you obviously prefer violin concertos... that sounds interesting!  ;D
Or was this offer of 4 violin concertos just a fluke?

Best,
Tobias

It is just a fluke.  Many of the other classical recordings that I digitized have slowly become available in official releases. 

violinconcerto

I have a few other digitized recordings that I would like to share that I do not think are available commercially or here.  They are,

A pity that it is a fluke, anyway I don't want to spoil the party, but all mentioned pieces in these performances are commercially available! You can check here: www.violinconcerto.de

Best,
Tobias

Greg K

Quote from: violinconcerto on Friday 30 December 2011, 20:42
I have a few other digitized recordings that I would like to share that I do not think are available commercially or here.  They are,

A pity that it is a fluke, anyway I don't want to spoil the party, but all mentioned pieces in these performances are commercially available! You can check here: www.violinconcerto.de

Best,
Tobias

Tobias,

You mean Taktak's F minor Concerto with Issakadze has been reissued on commercial CD?

violinconcerto

Quote from: Greg K on Saturday 31 December 2011, 04:05

You mean Taktak's F minor Concerto with Issakadze has been reissued on commercial CD?

No, but I thought a commercially released LP recording does also mean "commercially available"? Just check a few records dealer and you will surely find such an LP - it isn't quite rare.

Best,
Tobias

Dundonnell

That is not my understanding of the Download rules as outlined at the beginning of that section.

A considerable amount of music which has been uploaded for the use of members of this site comes from "old LPs". Some of these LPs may still be "in circulation" in the sense that one might find copies of them for sale by some dealer or other somewhere in the world.

Mark Thomas

We are trying to strike a balance between the twin aims of making available otherwise unobtainable recordings whilst keeping the site free of copyright infringement allegations. It's like hitting a moving target because copyright law is a mess; inconsistent and variable between countries. So, for recordings which have been available at some stage commercially, we aim to keep within the spirit of copyright protection by drawing a (purely arbitrary, I'll accept) distinction between recordings which have been available on CD (or as downloads) and older recordings. It's not perfect, it's not without inconsistencies but it is a workable and defensible policy.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 01 January 2012, 09:58
We are trying to strike a balance between the twin aims of making available otherwise unobtainable recordings whilst keeping the site free of copyright infringement allegations. It's like hitting a moving target because copyright law is a mess; inconsistent and variable between countries. So, for recordings which have been available at some stage commercially, we aim to keep within the spirit of copyright protection by drawing a (purely arbitrary, I'll accept) distinction between recordings which have been available on CD (or as downloads) and older recordings. It's not perfect, it's not without inconsistencies but it is a workable and defensible policy.

"workable and defensible", as you say....and eminently sensible and appropriate :)

albion

Quote from: violinconcerto on Saturday 31 December 2011, 11:24
Quote from: Greg K on Saturday 31 December 2011, 04:05

No, but I thought a commercially released LP recording does also mean "commercially available"? Just check a few records dealer and you will surely find such an LP - it isn't quite rare.

Best,
Tobias

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 31 December 2011, 12:05That is not my understanding of the Download rules as outlined at the beginning of that section.

A considerable amount of music which has been uploaded for the use of members of this site comes from "old LPs". Some of these LPs may still be "in circulation" in the sense that one might find copies of them for sale by some dealer or other somewhere in the world.

The primary purpose of the downloads section is to preserve important recordings (either with regard to repertoire or interpretation) in the absence of their current commercial availability.

For recordings issued on LP, if that LP has been subsequently deleted and the identical performance has not been transferred to legitimately-licensed and in-print CD, then that recording is effectively not commercially available. The existence or availability of second-hand copies of the original LP I would (personally) regard as irrelevant.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Albion on Monday 02 January 2012, 15:53

For recordings issued on LP, if that LP has been subsequently deleted and the identical performance has not been transferred to legitimately-licensed and in-print CD, then that recording is effectively not commercially available. The existence or availability of second-hand copies of the original LP I would (personally) regard as irrelevant.

Does that mean I can upload me Mrs Mill greatest hits in the British thread? ;D

Thal