Introduce yourself here.....

Started by jerfilm, Thursday 28 October 2010, 23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 02 January 2012, 19:25

Does that mean I can upload me Mrs Mill greatest hits in the British thread? ;D

Thal

Gosh!! I do admire your courage! I've never met anyone who freely admits that they own a copy of a Mrs Mills LP.  You are clearly a rare kind of individual and maybe you should tell us more about yourself...
;D

albion

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 02 January 2012, 19:25Does that mean I can upload me Mrs Mill greatest hits in the British thread? ;D

Thal

Hi Thal, of course you can - I understand that your collection is unrivalled in its taste and scope ...

... this lady certainly knew how to party (is that a diamond-encrusted chicken drumstick?), and in the process somehow managed to avoid the baited snares of serialism.

;)

Miles R.

Hello. I just discovered this site a few days ago. I have not yet explored it very thoroughly, but I thought that it looked as though I would eventually want to make some posts, so I have registered.

Some may be curious about how I was led here. It happened like this: A few weeks ago, I started to listen to some of the pieces on the YouTube channel "Unsung Masterworks" by GoldieG89. I was struck by the fact that there seemed to be some composers of considerable accomplishment who were completely unknown to me, notably Joachim Raff and Hans Huber, as well as ones of whom I had heard but whose music I had never sought out, such as Anton Rubinstein. I was led to this site when I happened to click on a link in an endnote in the Wikipedia article "Hans Huber (composer)" (it seems that there are other Swiss and German men of note of the same name).

I started listening to classical music around age 12 but did not become a musician of any kind until I took up singing in my twenties. (I am now 50.) Up to that time, I had had little interest in vocal music, and certainly no interest in opera. Both of those dispositions changed to such an extent that for many years I hardly listened at all to non-vocal music. Lately, though, my old interest in orchestral music has revived, though I find it more interesting to seek out unfamiliar compositions than to listen to, say, the symphonies and concertos of Beethoven and Brahms again.

Mark Thomas

Welcome, Miles and I'm especially pleased that it was Joachim Raff (see www.raff.org) who helped lead you here...

Gerhard Griesel

My name is Gerhard Griesel, from South Africa. Although I do not post very often, I enjoy this forum tremendously. It is costing me quite a lot of money, though, in the sense that I often buy CDs of unsung composers mentioned here. I am an education official by trade, now nearing retirement age. As a youngster my parents made me take piano lessons for a few years, but I had no talent whatsoever, and can only imagine what my teachers must have endured. I did enjoy listening to classical music from a very early age, though. While being a conscript in the army way back in the sixties, I one day walked into a record shop while waiting for a train, and heard Poulenc's concerto for organ & strings. That was a defining moment. I also realised that there was a lot more classical music out there than the bits one would hear on the radio. As a young teacher raising a family, I could not afford to buy records or CDs, but once the kids were off our hands, there was a bit more money. My father had grown very hard of hearing in his later years, so I decided that before this were to happen to me, I want to hear all I can while I still can! I have a medium-sized collection of CDs now, almost all confined to the Romantic Period.

Alan Howe

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 02 January 2012, 19:25
Does that mean I can upload me Mrs Mill greatest hits in the British thread? ;D
Thal

Is that a roundabout way of telling us your age?  ;)

regriba

I joined the forum about a fortnight ago so it might be time to introduce myself. I'm Danish, in my mid-forties. I'm not a professional musician but play the piano on an amateur basis. I've been interested in unsung composers since my "conversion" to classical music in my mid-teens.

I've been following the forum for quite some time, since it was part of raff.org. But I am afraid I have been somewhat intimidated by the seemingly unlimited knowledge of everybody here. I've finally taken the plunge, however, hoping I might perhaps be able to contribute a little on Scandinavian and other Nordic music, which I do know a little about.

Mark Thomas

You're very welcome. The last thing which anybody should feel is intimidated - heck, sometimes people even take me seriously!

regriba

Thanks for the welcome. I'm already feeling bolder ...  :)

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: regriba on Tuesday 17 January 2012, 15:16
Thanks for the welcome. I'm already feeling bolder ...  :)

Hey, if I don't have any compunctions talking out of my hat, you'll be fine.  ;D

Welcome!

jerfilm

And some us who count as "seniors" ramble alot.  My mom's grandparents were all born in Denmark.

See what I mean??

Welcome to this wonderful forum.

Jerry

Elroel

Hello you all,

I never thougth there was anybody who had the same taste of music I have. I, always, was certain that my love for the unknown composer was a private obsession. But here I find many more "obsessed" ones.
I inherited love for music from my mother, who was a member of a choral society, singing also the solo parts.
I was born in 1943, in The Netherlands, and listen to classical music since 1955, the moment I was presented with a record with Bach's 3td Suite coupled by Mozert's 5th Violin Concerto.
A fair part of my pocket money has been spent on bying records, since.
In later years I travelled several times to London to buy records, for friends (and myself of course).

I am strictly a music listener (lover) and collector of music.
Among the composers I love most, is Havergal Brian (thanks to this forum I completed my collection of the the symphonies). I'm not so interested in music earlier than Beethoven's (with exceptions of course) and although I like many modern compositions, I have possibly not the intelligence, nor the technically knowledge, to listen to the so-called avant-garde.
I' m busy digitizing my old records so I can pay you back for the music I downloaded so far.

Mark Thomas

Good to find out about you Elroel.

Christo

Hi Elroel,

There are quite a lot of 'our kind' around here, even a couple of fellow Dutchmen with similar weird preferences. THE expert and Havergal Brian enthusiast is of course Johan Herrenberg, but there are more Dutchmen who share his enthusiasm. Johan and me actually met in London in 1995 in the course of a Havergal Brian festival organized by the Havergal Brian Society and have continued to meet since then. Some of us were active on another forum, but nowadays this one is the place to be.

I myself became an enthusiast for especially British and Scandinavion music in my teens, in the 1970s, and that's still my main focus. Composers like Vaughan Williams, Holst, Brian, Berkeley, Cooke, Bate, Arnold, Nielsen, Holmboe, Tubin and dozens more. I "discovered" most of them on Lyrita and other LPs available in a public library in Zwolle when I was sixteen and continued exploring with the help of the Amsterdam public library (Prinsengracht) as a student, often hiring LPs that I discovered twenty years later to have shared (unknowingly) with Johan Herrenberg (same age, similar preferences, also living in Amsterdam in the 1980s).

Great to meet you here! BW, Christo (Johan Snel)

darkmatter

Yes was introduced to this site by a close friend who is here as suffolkcoastal
Some real gems here and hope to broaden my appreciation of the more obscure composers particularly 20th Cen American music  :)