Re: Hyperion RPC vol. 78: Clara Schumann, Hiller, Herz, Kalkbrenner

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 18 December 2018, 23:27

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

IIRC Robert Simpson had a somewhat stricter definition of "progressive tonality" in his book on C.A. Nielsen (with examples of what Nielsen did that earlier composers generally did not...) but I'm not sure. Examples of instrumental works (leave alone operas and oratorios :) ) where the finale is simply in a different but related key are manifold...

(I wrote in mistakenly though on the IMSLP page that the finale began in F minor. My mistake.)

Martin Eastick

Although I'm delighted to have this release to look forward to, I would have suggested that, instead of the Clara Schumann, Leopoldine Blahetka's Concertstück would have perhaps been a more interesting coupling, especially as we already have several admirable versions of Clara's Op7 (although I know Howard Shelley may yet turn out to be the most desirable here) - and more importantly, considering Blahetka's definite connection with Kalkbrenner - and most likely Herz as well! But perhaps, even if this actually was a consideration, there would possibly be the usual problem of locating orchestral parts etc. (I have an original score of the piano part only).

Nevertheless, I will be more than satisfied with this release -  most welcome for the New Year!

(Herz' first concerto is Op34 - so most likely WOULD have been preceded by The Op27 Rondo))

eschiss1

maybe a new recording of Lebeau's fantasie for piano and orchestra Op.25...??

Alan Howe