The music of Sulkan Tsintsadze (1925-1992)

Started by DennisS, Thursday 11 November 2010, 21:41

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Recently I discovered by chance the music of one of Georgia's foremost composers -Sulkan Tsintsadze. I had purchased Brilliant's  Russian Historical Archives Alexander Gauk edition. On CD 8 of the 10 CD set, was a piece by this composer entitled "Fantasy for piano and orchestra". I was immediately attracted to the work, very much like Rachmaninov in places (  more joyous though than melancolic), but also reminiscent of Khatchaturian, especially in the orchestral climaxes. I really like this piece. Sadly the music is slightly spoiled by persistant coughing in this, a live recording!!! To my knowledge, this is the only commercial recording presently available. If I found a studio recording, I would buy it immediately. The Fantasy is by the way, a reworking of a Piano concerto after Georgian themes, which I would love to acquire! Other Tsintsadze works freely available are" Miniatures" and also some string quartets. I have since discovered another "Fantasy" but this time for violin and string orchestra, which I have on order. Are any members familiar with this composer and what do they think of his music? I know there are symphonies and other concertos. Your comments would be most welcome, especially if you know of other commercial recordings.

Cheers
Dennis

Mark Thomas

I've heard the Piano Fantasy and Dennis is right: it's a winning mix of Rachmaninov and Khachaturian. Very attractive, tuneful and colourfully orchestrated music.

Christopher

Can you say where you found the Fantasy for piano and orchestra?  On Amazon I can find the miniatures you mention, but not the fantasy...

Christopher

It would be interesting to know more about Georgian composers in general, particularly from the pre- and early Soviet era.  The Tbilisi Conservatory was and is one of the most highly-regarded in the ex-Soviet territories.  I have operas by Paliashvili (1871-1933 - "Abesalom and Eteri", and "Daisi") and Dolidze (1890-1933 - "Keto and Kote"), and various music by Irakli Djabadary (1891-1934) including his Piano Concerto No.3 in A major, Op. 10., Georgian Rhapsody (for piano and orchestra) Op.2, and his symphonic poems Tiflisiana and La Melopee du Serpent Op.9.    Does anyone have any information on other Georgian composers and resordings that have been made?

Pengelli

I remember seeing the name years ago in lists of Russian Lp's,back in the days of 'Collets' and the 'Russian Record Company',

jimmosk

Quote from: Christopher on Tuesday 08 February 2011, 21:13
Can you say where you found the Fantasy for piano and orchestra?  On Amazon I can find the miniatures you mention, but not the fantasy...

It's here: http://www.selections.com/AK125/alexander-gauk-edition-vol-2-10cds/

-J

Pengelli

jimmattt

Try this website:
http://www.georgian-music.com/free_music/classic.php

You will find some interesting things, such as a piano concerto by Bidzina Kvernadze and music by Felix Glonti, Kancheli, et al, then google some of them, great stuff.

Norbit

I am not very familiar with Tsintsadze's music. The only recording I have of his music is from the Daniil Shafran CD "Russian Soul" which contains the Prokofiev Symphony Concerto, Kabalevsky Cello Concerto No. 2, and Five Georgian Dances by Tsintsadze. I see that someone uploaded them to youtube if you are curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhlM3AMnSSQ&playnext=1&list=PL0CA1BFDF3811E96D

Amphissa

There is a delightful piece by Tsintsadze on a CD called Cello World by cellist Steven Isserlis and pianist Thomas Ades. Called "chonguri", I think it might be from the Five Pieces group. There are also an assortment of miniatures on Lisa Batiashvili's disc of the Beethoven Violin Concerto. It is great to see an unsung included alongside an established work performed by an up-and-coming soloist. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing else by him.

Norbit

Yes. It's the second one in the set. It's not surprising that Isserlis recorded it. I think he wrote the notes for the Shafran CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7DRiayPU8p

Tsintsadze wrote other pieces for cello including concertos. Unless I am confusing him with Khachaturian, who I know for sure was a cellist, Tsintsadze was a cellist himself. Unfortunately, I doubt any recordings exist.

Amphissa

Quote from: jimmattt on Wednesday 09 February 2011, 05:10
Try this website:
http://www.georgian-music.com/free_music/classic.php

You will find some interesting things, such as a piano concerto by Bidzina Kvernadze and music by Felix Glonti, Kancheli, et al, then google some of them, great stuff.

How do I listen to this music? When I click links for the music, I hear nothing. The file format is .wax. What is that?

Norbit

Use Windows Media Player. I think WAX is effectively the same thing as WMA.

Edit: I now see that the site contains a number of Tsintsadze's works, including cello concertos. Embed your links next time so I don't miss them.

Amphissa

Ah, okay, I found that if I do a Copy/Paste of the link into Windows Media Player "Open URL" box, it will play.

Unfortunately, listening to portions of the four concertos, I find that they are obstinately obnoxious, acutely abrasive, and deeply irritating modernist pieces. The Violin Concerto is particularly dreadful.

I'll try a few of the other pieces, and some of the other composers to see if there are more palatable pieces to be found.

Holger

Tsintsadze is a great composer indeed. However, the early Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra (which I don't know so far but I do know other pieces by him which were composed at about the same time) is hardly representative of his ripe style. I think that at the beginning at the 1960s he had found his own voice and that's definitely nothing in post-Rachmaninov vein but rather based on Shostakovich, Bartók and maybe some serial procedures. Actually that's quite tough stuff from time to time with a notable degree of dissonance. I wouldn't call Tsintsadze a modernist though he was interested in innovations and his music is far more modern than Taktakishvili's who was just one year older than Tsintsadze.

Tsintsadze used to play the cello, and he was definitely an expert in string writing. There are twelve string quartets in his output, of which I know all but the last one and they are highly interesting in my view. Two of them have appeared on CD, by the way (Nos. 6&10). His Cello Concerto No. 2 is a terrific piece as well.

His most prominent pieces are his arrangements of Georgian Folk Songs for string quartet, however, though these are actually pieces which don't belong to the centre of his creative output. Nevertheless, he did an excellent job here, his creativity in writing for string quartet is remarkable and these little miniatures are really great fun. The cello pieces mentioned above belong to the same category, while the Fantasy for Violin and Strings which is available on CD is based on an opera by Dolidze (Keto and Kote).

In fact, the only ambitious mature works by Tsintsadze which have been recorded on CD are the two string quartets I mentioned above (and even them do not seem to be available any more).

I like his music because of its energy, its balance between ratio and emotion and because it's very well done. However I understand that people who love romanticism rather than 20th century developments might have their problems with his later output.

By the way, as far as I am informed Tsintsadze already died in 1991 (not 1992 as indicated in the title).

Regards,
Holger