Arthur Willner (1881-1959)

Started by Wheesht, Friday 22 May 2020, 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

In the list of émigré musicians from Nazi Europe who settled in Britain on Wikipedia I came across Arthur Willner (1881-1959). According to his own Wikipedia entry, he studied with Reinecke, Thuille and Rheinberger and composed well over 100 works. Only his Sonata for Solo Flute has been recorded, apparently, but I wonder if there is anybody on UC who either knows Willner or could have a look at one or more of his manuscript scores held at the Leo Baeck Institute and digitised for the Internet Archive. As I don't read music, I cannot determine if any of his (early) works might be of interest to the UC community. Symphonic works were mentioned favourably in Czech newspapers as early as 1902.

Reverie

My word! That is some collection!

I have downloaded a folder. They are very large and take a bit of time.

Will let you know as soon as I have had a gander. Thanks.

Wheesht

cypressdome

About three years ago I downloaded all the files of the Willner collection (about 12.5gb) with the idea of typesetting some of the works. I put together a list of works which I have now placed on IMSLP. One thing to be aware of is that Willner assigned opus numbers to his juvenilia most of which he later repudiated. Eight of his juvenile works were re-assigned new opus numbers in his list of works he recognized.  I was wanting to typeset his String Quartet No.2 that had been performed by Gustav Hollaender and his quartet in 1903.  It wasn't until after I figured out the juvenilia issue that I realized I was typesetting a rejected String Quartet No.2 from his youth.  Continuing work on it was pointless as copyright would probably not expire on it until 2030. It seemed like a decent work for a 19 year old.  Copyright is the real problem with Willner's works.  Only a small number were published in his lifetime and it seems quite a few of the unpublished works were never performed.  I have tried in the work list to note when a work was published/existed only in manuscript and if Willner noted that a work had been performed.  I next tried to typeset the string orchestra version of the Suite "Through the Centuries", Op.59. It had been published in a version for piano. Well, after finishing four movements and starting on the fifth I abandoned it as I felt there was little of any substance in the music.  Perhaps there are some gems hidden among his 100+ works.  I would think that the String Quartets Opp.9 and 10, the Violin Sonatas Nos.1 and 2 (Opp.11 and 21), the Piano Sonata Op.26, and the Concerto for String Orchestra in A minor Op.37 should be looked at as these works were performed by the likes of Henri Marteau, Carl Flesch, Eduard Erdmann, and Franz Schalk.

Wheesht

Thank you for this comprehensive and helpful reply. I can see how copyright issues could make it difficult to "work" on this composer for another ten years or so. Meanwhile I will have a closer look at what's available in reviews in newspapers and journals. The Anno Project of the Austrian National Library is good place for this as it is completely free, keeps growing and has excellent full text search facilities that are far easier to manage than many other digitised newspaper portals I have seen.