News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

MARTUCCI SYMPHONY Nº 2

Started by Alexander_Glazraffstein, Friday 19 June 2009, 10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexander_Glazraffstein

Dear all,

I had chance to discover the Martucci´s music thanks to a 4CD set of Symphonies, Piano Concertos and other orchestral works which a good friend of mine gave me as present.
I believe, in general threads that he was mostly influenced by Brahms, and in general by the German Romantic tradition. Nevertherless, some of his music, and in special attention to the Andante, Op. 69 Nº 2, would be considered advanced in time works.
I like specially his Second Symphony. The work is still influenced by Brahms although develops a sort of "own voice". Some parts from the first movement souds like me a Sibelius echoes "avant-la-lettre". Perhaps, the more original movement is the Scherzo (admiting the influnces of Brahms and Schumann), one of the most ones I ever listened to along with the one from the Glazunov 8th.
It seems that Toscanini became the last defending counsel of Martucci´s cause.
What do you think about? I give you many thanks in advance for you r expert opinions. :)
Greetings,

Fernando.   

Alan Howe

Martucci was one of my first unsung discoveries. I have always esteemed the symphonies very highly - in particular no.2. And yes, that first movement does sound very Sibelian in parts. It is interesting to play 'spot the influence', but it seems to me that Martucci makes his own unique synthesis of the various musical styles which interested him. I am not surprised at all that the great Toscanini thought him worthy of his attention.

Amphissa

Yes, Toscanini was a great advocate for the music of Martucci. He recorded the symphonies, I know.

And Mahler as well. The last concert conducted by Mahler in NY in 1911 featured Martucci's 2nd Piano Concerto.

This entire program was re-created by Muti and the New York Philharmonic in January 2007.  That was my first introduced to Martucci. I have since become a great fan of Martucci. I especially like the CDs that pair Martucci's chamber music with the chamber music of his student, Respighi.

Peter1953

Fernando, some time ago I bought the D'Avalos 4 CD box set of Martucci's complete orchestral works, I think that box you got as a present. At first I had some problems with his 2nd symphony for I thought especially the outer movements rather "noisy". But after listening to this work a few times again I'm getting to appreciate it more and more. By the way, just like his PC's. And yes, I was overwhelmed by his Andante in B flat for cello and orchestra right from the first time I've heard it and I still love this beautiful romantic piece the most of all.

Ilja

I hope you will forgive me for saying this again, but please try the recording of the Second Symphony by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra under Kees Bakels on BIS. I often use it when wishing to convert people to the joys of unsungcomposerdom.

Steve B

Not as impressed by his 2nd symphony as much as by the beautiful Puccinian "Songs of Memory"(try Freni's sumptuous version); or the piano concerti. But Martucci is a grower, and repays repeated hearings.I hear the Sibelius(?Nielsen) in the climaxes of the first movement,( which I thought the best- ferocious tuttis). What a startling recording(D'Avalos)
Steve

Alan Howe

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread...

Martucci's Symphony No.2 is as good an example as any of an utterly brilliant but almost totally forgotten piece of music. How could an Italian composer have so clearly been aware of symphonic developments in Scandinavia in 1904? Sibelius had only written two of his numbered symphonies by this date, yet Martucci must somehow have heard his music. Sibelius' Tapiola lay twenty years in the future, but Martucci seems to be half-way there in the miraculous opening movement of this Symphony.

Never heard this music? Try it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASbUHQBxEc
This stupendous recording features the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by the late lamented Francesco d'Avalos.

Reverie

That's quite magnificent! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Alan Howe

adriano

Martucci, incidentally, was Respighi's composition teacher at the Bologna Conservatory :-)

eschiss1

No argument here, of course.
Or from several conductors more or less recent (Toscanini comes to mind) who've brought Martucci's works around the world with them :) (Riccardo Muti more recently, bringing the composer's fine 2nd piano concerto to NYC for its first performance with the Philharmonic there in 96 years...)

Alan Howe

Yes, not entirely forgotten. Kudos to Toscanini and Muti!