Alexander Fesca piano trios on cpo

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 09 November 2014, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Trios (2 & 5) by the younger Fesca are out or soon to be out on cpo.

This CD catches my eye since I know that the slow movement of the 2nd trio may have been moderately popular once- there were versions of just that slow movement in various transcriptions published a half-century later, I think (including one for organ published in the USA made by Samuel Prowse Warren, I think- a name that may be familiar to some folks. The movement wasn't well-identified in its publication, either- no "Adagio from the 2nd trio" by Fesca, more just "Adagio ma non tanto" for organ by Fesca (arranged) (though admittedly not "the famous Adagio by Fesca")- suggesting _possibly_ that the transcriber assumed his audience knew the piece pretty well already, or something... (may be quite a leap I'm making there, of course.)
Anycase, may be interesting.

(2nd trio- published, I think, like the first, ca.1840. The fifth trio (op.46, in B (minor?)) was published perhaps in 1845 (according to HMB.)) (The 6th trio, Op.54, followed later in the next-to-last year of his life, published in 1848. Don't know when these were composed. HMB may have these late, if they were published first in France, say- in which case first publication dates were probably rather earlier and the Bibliographie de la France should be consulted instead.)

jerfilm

Yes, the adagio ma non troppo of the 2nd Trio in e is very lovely.   One can readily see, I think, why it may have been popular.  This movement is worth the price of admission alone.  The rest is also fine

Jerry