Julius Rietz Symphony No.1

Started by Raffzunov, Wednesday 23 December 2020, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffzunov

First movement of Julius Rietz symphony nº1. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCqUUnUfAY

Some overtures and concertos are recorded. Waiting for the three symphonies.

izdawiz

That is amazing, lovely piece and how technology can put all the players together to bring the symphony alive in this manner.. More  unsung symphonies and chamber music can be made this way!! The Future!!

Alan Howe

These are Rietz's three symphonies, according to Wikipedia:

Symphony No. 1 in G minor, Op. 13 (1843)
Symphony No. 2 in A major, Op. 23 (1846?)
Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 31 (1855)

I enjoyed the opening movement of No.1 very much indeed. I do occasionally find the overall effect slightly messy owing to the obvious problems of coordination; nevertheless, it's an extremely fine and enlightening effort.

Mark Thomas

Rietz's 3rd Symphony was highly regarded in his lifetime and his Concert Overture is a cracking Mendelssohnian gem, so I'm looking forward to hearing this movement from the 1st. Symphony.

terry martyn

One of my favourite overtures, and sadly underrecorded

eschiss1

has there been a recording of the 3rd symphony? I know the Louisville Orchestra recorded the Concert Overture "back when"...

Mark Thomas

I don't believe there has, Eric. The movement of the 1st. is most enjoyable, but very reminiscent of Mendelssohn, which was the judgement on Rietz by his contemporaries. None the worse for that, of course, but it does show that he was not an innovator, I suppose.

Richard Moss

[Note: This message has been moved to a more relevant thread - Mark Thomas]

Re: Performance of Rietz 1st Symphony (mvt 1 only)

Unless I've missed a lot of dialogue on another thread, I've just found  on YOUTUBE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCqUUnUfAY&list=RDYWCqUUnUfAY&start_radio=1&rv=YWCqUUnUfAY&t=64) a recording of thr 1st movement of Rietz's first symphony (Op. 13, 1843).

If anyone else knows about this work's performance I'd love to hear.  In the meantime, I've e-mailed the conductor,  Nir Cohen, to enquire if the other movements are available and if so where/how etc. and will advise when I hear back from him.

If the moderators feel this is overtaken by events elsewhere  I wot not of and/or need to move it to another thread - fine.

Best wishes

Richard

Richard Moss

I've now had a reply from Mr Nir Cohen who confirms that the 1st movement is all that currently exists (but that he would welcome the opportunity to perform the whole work - I presume either live or CD -  should there be suitable interest from a concert or label manager. 

We can only hope...

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

This is dangerously (but enjoyably) close to Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony, but who cares?

eschiss1

meanwhile Rêverie has given us a file of the 3rd symphony, for which thanks.

Alan Howe