Reinecke Piano Concertos: Callaghan/Hyperion

Started by FBerwald, Monday 22 February 2021, 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Perhaps they will do better this time. Let's not prejudge. Marshev recorded the Sauer 2. I must listen again to that disk.

Alan Howe

Ilja

I've been comparing the first Hyperion disc with the CPO set, and there are genuinely things to like; I think I prefer Callaghan's lighter touch to Hellwig's pianism, and the recording feels more transparent than the older set. I don't even mind the slighter orchestral forces so much (and I don't think they're wholly inappropriate for this repertoire) but that situation is made worse by the recording balance, which puts the piano more to the front than the cpo recording does. However, my main gripe is that there's almost nothing new; in the first two concertos, the approach is basically the same in terms of tempi, pacing, and phrasing, and although Callaghan/Pitrenas play the fourth at a somewhat more urgent pace, I'm not sure that the results are all that great. If you have the older set, I don't think the very slight differences justify buying this new recording. 

Alan Howe

Agreed - as to the pianism, that is. However, the orchestral balance on cpo is far more convincing.

terry martyn

Is the (Hyperion) orchestra essentially the same one that also features in the Rufinatscha Third,do you know,Alan?

Alan Howe

No! The Rufinatscha CD features the 'Orchester der Akademie St Blasius' which is made up of musicians from all over the Tyrol in west Austria and is based in Innsbruck. The Reinecke CDs feature the 'Sinfonieorchester St. Gallen' which is based in the town of that name in north-east Switzerland. So: two different orchestras from two neighbouring countries.

terry martyn

Thanks,Alan!

If i had taken the trouble to look up the Rufinatscha CD in my collection, I wouldn't have posted that!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

So: will this release put right the orchestral deficiences noted before? And will the Sauer measure up to the superb Marshev on Danacord?
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7967901--emil-von-sauer-piano-concerto-no-2-etc

Alan Howe

It's a strange coupling. Thieriot would have been a much better choice to go with the Reinecke.

Gareth Vaughan

I am still hoping Hyperion will record both concertos by Thieriot, as they planned to do with Ivo Varbanov before COVID scuppered that project.

Alan Howe