Reinecke Piano Concertos: Callaghan/Hyperion

Started by FBerwald, Monday 22 February 2021, 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

This is quite a pleasant change. Usually (since the last could of years) Hyperion would release at least 2 Volumes of RPC per year but since 2022 have only release 1 volume per year. Now this year with Vol. 86 [Tellefsen & Kalkbrenner] in Jan, 24' and 87 [Reinecke & Sauer] June, 24' we seem to be back in old rotation. Now, if only they would continue the Violin or Cello series.   

Tapiola

Alan Howe

I'm sorry to report that, judging by the excerpt available on Hyperion's website, this release shares the same problem as its predecessor, i.e. weak orchestral support.

Richard Moss

...And is RPC in danger of drifting into the 'big label' syndrome and presenting another version of already-recorded works, rather than pioneering/exploring unknowns'?

Just a passing thought

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

I don't think so - at least, I certainly hope not. It is worth remembering that the Reinecke disks were scheduled for recording a while before Hyperion sold out to Universal. I will try to contact Simon Perry soon by telephone (if I can) and have a chat with him.
Simon Callaghan too might be able to tell me if he has been contracted to record any more for the RPC series.

Alan Howe

Let's hope there are more RPC volumes to come - but with a better orchestra and recording balance.

Martin Eastick

I have just seen the booklet illustration for the first time, and notice that it describes the Sauer No2 as Op254! Of course Op254 is correct for Reinecke's 4th concerto. Sauer seemed to have ditched the use of opus numbers after a few sporadic early works!

Gareth Vaughan

You are quite right, Martin. That's a major error. Someone needs to point this out to Hyperion.

terry martyn

Many, many, thanks, Alan ! I had completely overlooked the Sauer performance by Marshev.  I have purchased it, and i am listening to it now. As you say, superb!

Alan Howe