Blitzstein, Hoiby, Ward Piano Concertos on Kritzerland

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 28 April 2021, 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Three 20th century American piano concertos – by Marc Blitzstein, Lee Hoiby and Robert Ward – are available on a 2018 CD from Kritzerland, a company with an eclectic selection of recordings, including historical ones of William Grant Still's 'Lenox Avenue' and Suite for Violin and Orchestra.

FBerwald

From the sound samples, I feel they are in the fringes. The Ward concerto sounds especially beautiful. What do the admins think?

Wheesht

I always check with one of the admins before posting about music written after 1918, and I did this time as well.

Mark Thomas

QuoteBut don't all these fall outside the remit of this board?
Chronologically yes, John, but they're late romantic stylistically.

jasthill

It might be worth observing that the three American concertos on this Kritzerland CD are from previously available (although maybe somewhat obscure) recordings some from circa 1950's-60's instead of new recordings. I'm unsure if these sources have been remastered - its nice to have them available without the grouse chase to find them individually.

jasthill

Oops! I forgot to read the instructions - they have been remastered by Kritzerland - Sorry.

Wheesht

I could or should have mentioned the remastering in my original post. A proper 'oops' goes to Kritzerland, though: they appear to have been 'Gone with the Wind' when they called the pianist in the Ward concerto Margaret rather than Marjorie Mitchell (both on the website and the CD cover and booklet notes).