Lassen, Eduard (1830 - 1904) - Symphony in D major

Started by Reverie, Wednesday 23 June 2021, 22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Symphony in D major first performed 1867

Here is the entire symphony complete. It has a memorable and uplifting opening theme which I hope you all come to love as much as I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJJuk_fMch4

Mark Thomas

I've long wanted to hear at least something from one of Lassen's two symphonies, and this movement doesn't disappoint. It really gladdens the heart, much like the opening movements of some of Dvorak's early symphonies can - the Third for instance. Thanks so much. On the evidence of this piece and the Violin Concerto there is certainly a case for much more Lassen. Do you have an opinion on the other three movements, Martin?

Alan Howe

I echo Mark's comments. This is big-hearted, affirmative music of real quality. Many thanks, Martin!

Reverie

Thanks.

Mark - I have made a start on the second and third movements. The slow movement is a kind of theme and variations based on a a very simple folk type melody. The scherzo is lively (obviously) with some interesting cross rhythms. They will be completed eventually .

Right back to Traum und Wirklichkeit, Op.92. And the composer of this is ...? No prizes for the first correct answer I'm afraid!

Alan Howe

Had to look it up, so I won't spoil others' fun...

Mark Thomas

QuoteI have made a start on the second and third movements
That's most encouraging Martin. Thanks, and in the meantime we have some Philipp Scharwenka to look forward to, eh?  ;)

Alan Howe

Reverie

Alan Howe

Just sampled the end of the finale - reminds me of the exultant ending of Brahms 2, except that Lassen got there first!

Reverie

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I like the work - thanks, Martin. I'm not sure I really rate Lassen, but this is attractive, cheerful stuff, well worth a modern outing. Thanks for all your hard work on it.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Is the score of Lassen's 2nd Symphony available anywhere?

tpaloj

A few libraries have the 2nd Symphony in C op. 78 (Allegro molto vivace–Larghetto–Presto–Allegro non troppo, ma con spirito), but I couldn't find a digitized score.
  • Wissenschaftliche Stadtbibliothek
  • Royal Academy of Music
  • British Library
  • Sächsische Landesbibliothek Dresden
These libraries have the printed edition.