Forthcoming disk of female composers for the piano ~ Marie-Catherine Girod

Started by 4candles, Thursday 24 June 2021, 13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

One pianist I've always admired is the ever enterprising Marie-Catherine Girod, who brings us a cornucopia of works by various female composers from the 18th century onwards. Some of them may fall out of this forum's remit, but most will not. I'm sure there will be much to enjoy here.

Regards de Femmes.

4c

Mark Thomas

You have to admire the honesty of Ethel Smyth's title for her Variations!

eschiss1

Posthumously published, and half the original title may have been in German (though since the first publisher of the complete edition of her piano works is Breitkopf (they've also issued new editions of some of her already-published works, browseable at ISSUU...), that might be because of that. Still, only half the original title, not the whole title, is given in German , so I'm assuming that that's her original title (except for the sic...): "Variationen in Des-dur über ein eigenes Thema (of an exceeding (sic!) dismal nature).") (Composition date July-August 1878, according to the notes to the cpo recording of same.)

eschiss1

According to cpo's notes, it was inspired by an equestrian accident. Having attempted (in my case therapeutic) horseriding I would be, as it were, in a dismal mood too in such a case...

semloh

Yes, Mark - I love it. Maybe there's more enjoyment to be had from the title than the music. In any case, certainly worth finding out.  :)