News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The catchiest Tunes

Started by Steve B, Sunday 26 December 2010, 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

Bit of holiday lightness!(not that we can't be light at other times!)

ONE nomination per person of current or all-time "can't-get-it-out-of-my-head JAUNTY, catchy melody :

Mine is Rubinstein Piano Concerto 3, first movement; its the second of the second subject theme group; a jaunty waltz, which, like the melodies in PC 5, also has that slight edge of sadness underlying the glee-the Moszkowski effect, of which i talked earlier.It return oftentimes accompanied by various orchestral hues.

Steve.

Btw. Peter1953 and everyone, whats ur opinion on "The Demon" and which are the best bits as i have the Lp box. ?Thx

febnyc

Gosh! So many...

OK, to choose one I would nominate the main theme from the First Symphony of Vassily Kalinnikov.  The opening bars beautifully build up to the entrance of the melody which, in its second iteration, blossoms fuilly across the orchestra.  And it is so soulful, so melancholy, so...so Russian!

Peter1953

Like febnyc says, there are so many, many examples...

But I like to vote for a recent acquisition. It's Gänsbacher's Symphony in D major, the main theme of the Allegro con spirito, which is the first movement. The opening begins with an Adagio, almost in a Romantic style, but after 2:30 it happens. A most remarkable and joyous theme which is IMO so utterly catching that it is not possible to get it out of your head. No problem, because it makes you feel more than happy and good-humoured. Just wonderful!

Steve, I have a confession to make. I don't like opera... not even from my hero.

febnyc

Peter:  Thanks for the comment on the Gänsbacher theme.  Now, if my order from the Landesmuseen ever arrives (almost three weeks and no receipt) I will have the opportunity to enjoy it as you have.

Josh

The second theme from the first movement of Joseph White's Violin Concerto in F-sharp minor.  I can't believe this work isn't more famous; it's perhaps my favourite violin concerto of all time.  When the full orchestra gives it full blast at the end of the movement, it's just one of the most sublime things I've ever heard.  I can't recommend it enough.

As a huge fan of The Big Tune, I know this discussion will probably end up costing me some money. Actually, I think I already see some of it heading toward the Tiroler Landesmuseen once again (and it's always money well-spent, no doubt about it).

FBerwald

Quote from: Josh on Sunday 26 December 2010, 17:34
The second theme from the first movement of Joseph White's Violin Concerto in F-sharp minor.  I can't believe this work isn't more famous;

I second , third, etc etc this. Its unbelievably beautiful.

My nom

Ronald Binge - The Watermill

. ............. :'( I ts NOT fair. Atleast allow a min of 10 nominations.

JimL

I prefer giving the nod to his Cuban nationality and calling him José White.  And I can't dislodge the first subject of the Allegro con fuoco from Rufinatscha's 6th (I) from my noggin.  Of course, you DID put a "jaunty" qualification on the category, Steve! 

chill319

Beecham's memorable recording of Balakirev 1 brings out the jauntiness of several tunes that were sticking in my mind rather persistently a few weeks back.

Alan Howe

....when the cellos take up the second subject in the first movement of Raff 4. It stays with you forever. Extraordinary - and genius!

John H White

I was whistling and humming the march tune from Raff's 5th symphony after just one hearing on the BBC back in 1949 for around 30 years before I managed to pick up a secondhand LP of that work. In more recent times probably the one melody I come back to again and again, apart from my own compositions, is that canonic minuet tune from Franz Lachner's prize winning 5th symphony.

Bobotox

I always keep coming back to the first movements of Franz Lachners' 5th and 8th symphonies. They should record the rest of his symphonies. This guy wrote some fine music.

mbhaub

Since the Kalinnikov is already spoken for, I must chose the scherzo from Amy Beach's symphony. But if all genres are eligible, Albert Ketelby's 'Appy Hamstead gets the nod.

jerfilm

How about that catchy tune from Litolff's Concerto Symphonique #4 in d?

Revilod

The snorting main theme of the finale of Bronsart's Piano Concerto.

giles.enders

The opening bars of Tchaikovsky's piano concerto No.1 and the opera Hansel and Gretal by Humperdinck, the latter I listened to just before Christmas and annoyingly it is still in my head.