Sir Edward German's First Symphony

Started by terry martyn, Monday 30 August 2021, 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

It must have been nearly fifty years ago that I bought the City of Hull´Youth Orchestra´s LP of German´s Second, and I have always been rather underwhelmed by it. Having acquired last week the Dutton Epoch recording of his First (CDLX 7156) from a third party seller on Amazon, I begin to suspect a  frontline orchestra would have made me sit up more in the "Norwich".  Because his First is really rather fine, bringing to mind more the pastures and hills of nineteenth-century Bohemia than,say, of Shropshire. It has, for some reason,made me think it Volkmannesque, although I´m not at all sure that German ever heard that composer´s very underrated Second Symphony. Derivative, it may be thought, but German´s First has surprised me with its wealth of melody and gentle spirit.

Alan Howe

I remember liking the work very much. Must dig my copy out.

edurban

The Dutton version of the "Norwich" is far better played and conducted than the Marco Polo version, imo.

semloh

Yes, I haven't listened to my Dutton CD of the 1st for a long time either. It's a fine work so, as you say Alan, time to give it another spin!