Rubinstein Violin Sonatas

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 24 September 2021, 08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

The Musical Heritage Society have reissued a 1978 recording by Robert Murray and Daniel Graham of Anton Rubinstein's "four violin sonatas", but which is in fact the three sonatas plus an arrangement for violin and piano of the Cello Sonata No.1. However, as far as I know, this is the only recording of the Third Sonata Op.98, which is a welcome addition.

JP

I understand that the Brilliant Classics set containing Rubinstein's supposedly complete line-up of violin sonatas issued over half a decade also contains the B minor Op. 98 sonata and other arrangements of instrumental pieces for violin and piano as well.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7987689--rubinstein-complete-violin-sonatas

Mark Thomas

Ah, that issue had passed me by. I'm corrected, thanks. The duo in the Brilliant Classics set take consistently (and considerably) longer to play each of the three sonatas, I notice. Are they observing repeats ignored by Murray and Graham, I wonder, or is it question of sludgy tempos? Judging by a quick and unscientific comparison of the sound bites I suspect the latter, but does anyone have a better qualified opinion?

eschiss1

There is at least one recording of the B minor sonata on a disc with other material (3 pieces, op.11, on Tiziano, 1996; performers Carlo Lazari & Stefano Gibellato; also a 2004 CD on Pierre Verany coupled the viola sonata with the 3rd violin sonata, played by Pierre Franck and Dana Ciocarlie), so in neither case are those recordings the only ones of the 3rd sonata.

Gareth Vaughan

Gosh, yes, John. I've just compared the soundbites on Presto Classical. The difference in tempi is amazing.

eschiss1

The Pierre Verany recording is within range at about 32 minutes.  Lazari & Gibellato also recorded all 3 sonatas, nos 1&2 for Nuova Era, no.3 - mislabeled a premiere (despite the 1976 recording?)- for Tiziani.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, John, I suspected that to be so and, indeed, I did vaguely remember some criticism of the Cammarano/Deljavan interpretations here at UC, but the search function threw up nothing. I listened to their performance of the First Sonata on Spotify and it is dreary in the extreme - not at all recommendable.