News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hubert Parry

Started by albion, Sunday 02 January 2011, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Recently revisiting Parry's choral music, I was struck by the remarkable quality of his inspiration and would strongly recommend the following four substantial scores to any members unfamiliar with this glorious music:

The Lotos-Eaters (1892), Invocation to Music (1895) and The Soul's Ransom (1906) - http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%20241-31

Ode on the Nativity (1912) - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/aug07/Parry_SRCD270.htm

In these recordings you will find sumptuous melody, thrilling choral climaxes, (uncharacteristically) rich orchestration and superb performances!

albion

From the BBC website:

The Prince And The Composer
Friday 27 May
7.30-9.00pm BBC FOUR

HRH The Prince of Wales offers his unique perspective on composer Sir Hubert Parry

Sir Hubert Parry is simultaneously one of Britain's best and least known composers. Jerusalem is almost a national song, regularly performed at rugby grounds, schools, Women's Institute meetings and the Last Night of the Proms, while Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind is one of Britain's best-loved hymns. Everyone knows the tunes, yet hardly anyone knows much about the man who wrote them.

In The Prince And The Composer, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, a longstanding enthusiast for Parry's work, sets out to discover more about the complex character behind it, with the help of members of Parry's family, scholars and performers.

This feature-length documentary by award-winning director John Bridcut offers fresh insight into the life and work of Hubert Parry through the unique perspective of HRH The Prince of Wales.

Mark Thomas

The Prince of Wales? Who knew? Maybe we'll see him signing up to UC? I'll reserve the username "HRH" for him.

edurban

If I remember correctly, Parry hated the name Hubert and preferred to be called Charles.  Or was it the other way around?

David

albion

No, Parry's preferred name was Hubert, usually abbreviating his full name if required to C. Hubert H. Parry.

giles.enders

Parry's House, Shulbrede Priory, will be open to the public this August bank holiday.  His great grand daughter will be there and is always happy to answer any queries about him, his music and the family in general.

Delicious Manager

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 14 May 2011, 10:43
Parry's House, Shulbrede Priory, will be open to the public this August bank holiday.  His great grand daughter will be there and is always happy to answer any queries about him, his music and the family in general.

Can you give me information on Parry's residence at Chulbrede Priory? I live in Rustington, West Sussex, England, just a few minutes' walk from Kinghtscroft House in Sea Lane, Rustington, the house Parry had built in 1879 and where he lived from 1880 until his death (a victim of the dreadful Spanish flu epidemic) in October 1918. When did he live in Surrey?

Delicious Manager

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 14 May 2011, 10:43

Having done a little research, I find that it was not Parry who lived at Shulbrede Priory (some sources seem incorrectly to claim this), but his daughter Dorothea and her husband Arthur Ponsonby. They had married in 1898 and moved to Shulbrede in 1902. While it is true that Parry formed firm links with Shulbrede (the piano he used to play when visiting there is still in the house), he never lived there. Shulbrede was also a convenient stopping-off place for Parry, being half way between his home in Rustington and London.

giles.enders

I will find out times and see if there is a map one can google Shulbrede is about two miles from Hazelmere.  It is very hard to find as there are no gates or anything like that just a narrow entrance through woods.  It is worth a visit because there is a fair amount of Parry memorabilia, Laura Ponsonby will be there to answer questions and the place is interesting in itself.

alberto

Excuse the oddity/curiosity.
In the 1979 "big" (and fine to me) movie "Yanks" (director John Schlesinger) Vanessa Redgrave was an aristocrat lady who, between a lot of things, rehearsed (as a cellist) Parry's "English Suite" for strings in a country church wartime concert.

giles.enders

Shulbrede Priory will be open to the public on 29th and 30th May from 2-6pm and again on Sunday and |Monday for the August bank holiday at the same times. Laura Ponsonby will be there to answer any questions.

giles.enders

On BBC4 on Friday 27th May at 7.30, there is a programme about Hubert Parry which is presented by Prince Charles.

giles.enders

If you missed the above programme, there is another chance to see it on 6th June 9pm BBC4

Delicious Manager

Quote from: giles.enders on Wednesday 01 June 2011, 17:32
If you missed the above programme, there is another chance to see it on 6th June 9pm BBC4

... or on BBC iPlayer if you're in the UK (which is going to have to be my route, as I wasn't able to watch it 'live').

Alan Howe

I am just listening to Invocation to Music for the first time - absolutely thrilling music. Of course Elgar didn't emerge from nowhere: the context included this magnificent, heartwarming music. May I therefore second Albion's recommendation at the beginning of this thread?