Manuscript works we'd like to see (found and) reconstructed

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 02 January 2011, 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Friesner

Things I hope are found (but I'm not holding my breath):

1.  The pages of Schubert's "Lazarus" that were supposedly used years later to light fireplaces.
2.  Johann Wilms's 2d Symphony, which is supposedly lost
3.  Am I correct that Kalliwoda's First Sym. exists only as a 2-piano reduction (as recorded), with the orchestration lost?  If so, find it!  If not, record it!
4.  OFF-THREAD:  Someone mentioned the "fake" Haydn Oboe Con.  I'd like to have them find the real one, if there was one.  Also the real 2-Horn Con., not the Rosetti one that was passed off as Haydn at one time.  And the D Major Violin Con.  And the Contrabass Con.  And the real flute con.  Greedy, ain't I?   

FBerwald

eschiss1

Friesner: no, the score (I think the parts also) to the Kalliwoda first symphony are in the possession of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin (a quick search at opac.rism.info finds a reference to them. Or even faster, since I've found them- do an advanced search with RISM ID no. "452028121".

BTW re "RISM" - all the links I've given in the past to RISM are broken now; their "Permalinks" aren't so permanent, they need to be replaced with new ones (like the preceding.) Blast.

minacciosa

Eric and I have been relentlessly searching for the manuscript scores for Henry Hadley's large choral works. The most important things missing are Part Two of Music: An Ode, and Resurgam. Both of these works can be counted among Hadley's greatest, yet after many inquiries we've turned up nothing so far. I'm now wondering if they might perhaps be in the UK, since Resurgam was performed there in 1924. All leads are most welcome.

Additionally, Hadley's first and fifth symphonies remain in manuscript, though I have created an engraving of the fifth that's ready to be employed when opportunity presents. I plan on getting to the first.

Others: Leo Sowerby's 5th, Vittorio Giannini's fifth, all of Edward Burlingame Hill's symphonies.

adriano

Coming back to the Templeton Strong case: I have manuscript photocopies of his early tone poems "Finsterniss" and "Todtentanz", plus two movements of his First Symphony. Todtentanz I have almost finished editing, but as long as no label is interested in financing this, I cannot allow myself to go on further with my work. On Naxos American Classics I was supposed to do a recording with pieces for solo intsruments and orchestra too; and I had already edited "Roaming", a lovely piece for violin and orchestra. This would have been making up a nice CD with pieces for violin, cell, oboe and horn solos. I've also found manuscripts of some of his stage scores.

JimL

I keep on circling back to two concertos I'd like to be found and hopefully, not in any need of reconstruction: The 2nd VC of Karl Goldmark, and the early PC of Eugen d'Albert.

eschiss1

Well, I'm intrigued by the early manuscripts by Ferdinand Hiller that have been found and digitized recently, but wonder if the "A minor symphony" ("No.2"?) that supposedly was performed by him along with his Opus 5 piano concerto is in there too (is it listed by him in one of his two work catalogues from his early years which SBB also digitized? I don't think I saw it- I know that a contemporary report of the premiere of the concerto mentioned _a_ symphony being performed, but maybe another report gave the key of the symphony. Hyperion Records' notes to the concerto are pretty specific but don't give a source... not that such things generally do... would be nice.)

Probably mentioned the two early, pre-No.1 Robert Fuchs symphonies (which I think are known only from press accounts of their premieres) but if I haven't... those too. What I know of his music, I adore (admittedly, the chamber music moreso- string quartets 1 & 4 most of all) which for me is reason enough to be curious, anyway :D