Manuscript works we'd like to see (found and) reconstructed

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 02 January 2011, 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

Of course, being me, I'd love to see all the symphonic scores of Franz Lachner readily available. I gather his younger brother, Ignaz, whose chamber music I greatly admire, also wrote symphonies. It would be lovely to have some of these come to light.
   Lastly, on a completely different tack, has it been proved conclusively that the manuscript of Sibelius's 8th symphony was destroyed?

Hofrat

TAhere are numerous manuscripts of Joachim Eggert waiting to see the light of day:  10 string quartets, a piano quartet, 7 cantatas, and stage music.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteRe Rufinatscha: it was the composer himself who donated his manuscripts to the museum in Innsbruck, so it appears that Symphony No.3 had disappeared before then - but who knows?

It is posible, of course, that Rufinatscha loaned the MS to someone who failed to return it - or perhaps it was lost or mislaid before the composer made his bequest. We can only conjecture.

giles.enders

Weber was reported to have written a piano concerto in 1802 which is now lost.  Ashton's only piano concerto is believed lost as is Stavenhagen's one on C major.  A concerto which needs reconstructing is Albeniz No2 in E flat.  I would also like to see someone do some work on the score of McEwan's one movement concerto which I believe is still only in manuscript.

Having nominated two concertos for reconstruction I have remembered what was done to poor old Elgar's piano concerto which I consider a travesty.  It should never have been released under his name but under the name of the person who arranged some scraps.

TerraEpon

Quote from: John H White on Thursday 06 January 2011, 10:54
   Lastly, on a completely different tack, has it been proved conclusively that the manuscript of Sibelius's 8th symphony was destroyed?

The last time BIS updated their progress on the complete edition, they said nothing materialized so far. The Symphonies volume is due within weeks, so we'll find out soon if that's changed yet.

eschiss1

GW Chadwick's early 1st symphony (out of curiosity at least).
(I forget, how much survives of Moeran's 2nd symphony? not much, I seem to recall reading.)

Balapoel

While I love various unsung composers, the top of my list would have to be various works by Schubert:
-Opera Adrast D137 (1819) - 8 completed numbers, 4 more sketched
-German Requiem in g minor D621 (1818), published at one point by his brother
-Requiem in c minor, D 453 (1816) (24 page manuscript present)

A few others:
Sterndale Bennett: Symphonies in Bb, d minor, A, g minor (1832-1836)
Catoire: Symphony in c minor, Op. 7
Fibich: Symphony in Eb (H4, 1865) (score lost, quartet score survives), Symphony in g minor (H69, 1866) (lost except for incipits.)
Wieniawski: Violin Concerto in D (1847), Violin Concerto No. 3 in a minor (1878)

chill319

Re Gershwin:
QuoteYou sure this isn't actually the Lullaby? That's the only work for string quartet I have in my list
for him.
The string quartet was the last "serious" work Gershwin composed. He played it publicly several times in the weeks before his death, but no manuscript is known.

jimmattt

May I hark back to the piano concertos of Bluebell Klean and Rosalind Ellicott? Well, I just did, also anything and everything not yet found by Louise Farrenc, Mel Bonis, Ingeborg Starck von Bronsart and any number of Romantic and 20th Century woman composers disdained in their time for not being MEN. As for male composers, Richard Maux intrigues me for whoever he was and what he composed, I have heard and liked some of his orchestral works.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteGW Chadwick's early 1st symphony (out of curiosity at least).

No work needed here. The MS full score and parts exist in America in, so I am told, perfectly decent condition.

FBerwald

How about the early orchestral works of Oscar Straus (before his advent to the operetta world!!!). Orchestral works, chamber and I believe even a piano concerto.

Also the piano sonata by Albert Ketèlbey (written when he was 11!!!) much admired by Elgar!

giles.enders

Oscar Straus wrote a piano concerto which I understood when I last checked some years ago still existed.  Rosalind Ellicott 1857-1924 is just beginning to get on peoples radar.  I have been trying with little success to find out more about Bluebell Klean, though I haven't had much time as I'm researching other things. To throw another name into the ring, Kathleen Bruckshaw 1879-1921 seemed to have an career in parallel with Ellicott.

Pengelli

Some of those operetta composers,including our own Arthur Sullivan,were also very fine orchesral composers. As to Oscar Straus. I still have the starry 2 Lp emi electrola boxed set of 'Ein Waltzertraum',somewhere in the house. They don't make 'em like that any more. At least emi don't!(I remember,forlornly,hoping they'd get around to some of his other operetta's).He also did the music for the movie 'La Ronde'. An underated composer. Kalman also wrote outside the field of operetta early in his career. He really could write for the orchestra. (When will someone get round to recording,'Kaiserin Josephine?). I remember a cpo cd of orchestral music by Dostal,(another operetta composer), being praised by David Hurwitz.
Apart from 'The Merry Widow',I always found Lehar too sentimental. Also I preferred the deleted & infinitely superior emi set with Edda Moser,conducted by Heinz Wallberg,(alas,long deleted), to the vastly overated & horribly matronly sounding,(battle axe!),Elizabeth Schwarzkopf. Yuuuuk!
Monckton's 'The Arcadian's' could do with a complete recording!
Not so into operetta now.................

littlenic

Hi everyone, Im a newbie to this site and my interest is not really the music, but in a composer. I`m wondering if anyone has any information on a Miss Bluebell Klean ?? The reason I`m asking is I have a photograph of a Miss Bluebell Klean at our Angling Club with a world record conger eel she captured during the 1920s , Does any one out there know if this could be the same Bluebell ? Any information would be greatfully recieved.

Nicola

on behalf of the East Hastings Sea Angling Association

thalbergmad

You have come to the right place as honoured member Giles Enders is investigating this composer.

Is there any way you could copy the photo so we can have a look??

Thal