Manuscript works we'd like to see (found and) reconstructed

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 02 January 2011, 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Brian's 'Prometheus Unbound',and his English Suite No 2 'Night Portraits' (1915),sounds very intriguing,as do the titles of the individual movements. I have an idea it might share a similair sound world to some of the orchestral movements taken from 'The Tigers'. I love the night! I used to go out watching wild animals years ago,until one day I got stopped by the police & had to show my bat detector,(a device for picking up ultrasonic sounds made by those cute furry creatures), to a bemused officer,who asked me very dryly,if I had remembered my bat phone! Who did he think I was? Adam West!
  Also,just about anything lost by Brian.....I mean his music of course! Especially,his early music. The music he wrote up to and around the time of 'The Tigers' is particularly attractive. I notice an 'Overture' on Buster Keaton in the list of lost works. Having recently invested in a boxed set of Harold Lloyd films,it's nice to know that Brian shared my enthusiasm for silent comedians. But with his sense of humour,living through the times he did,I suppose he would.

chill319

Gershwin, String Quartet, which he played on the piano at several parties in the weeks prior to his death.

Melartin, symphonies 7 and 8, extensive drafts of which are in Helsinki.

Sibelius 8, of course. Reports of the edition he had printed around 1939 make it appear that this was his most extended work since Kullervo.

The last movement of Janacek's piano sonata.

TerraEpon

Quote from: chill319 on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 04:42
Gershwin, String Quartet, which he played on the piano at several parties in the weeks prior to his death.

You sure this isn't actually the Lullaby? That's the only work for string quartet I have in my list for him.

Quote from: chill319 on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 04:42
Sibelius 8, of course. Reports of the edition he had printed around 1939 make it appear that this was his most extended work since Kullervo.

Well....certainly Scaramouche and The Tempest are just about as long. As for what was supposedly given to his publisher (or whatever it was), it was, IIRC, not even close to the whole thing, but it was, yes, intended to be a monumental work.

FBerwald

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 02 January 2011, 23:22
3 - Karl Goldmark - 2nd violin concerto. where'd this walk off to? who knew violin concertos could grow feet? (did it devise an escape plan with Brian's manuscript 1st and Wieniawski's 3rd?) if found, want to see and hear. thank you.-- the undersigned. ;)
ah, adding (sorry) - the unpublished Franz Lachner symphonies.
well, one could go on :)

Eric

I'm soooooo with you on this one. This work MUST exist in manuscript, because I have never heard of it as being reported as lost.. but who know....

My list includes the
  Moszkowski - Op. 3 Piano Concerto in B minor (unpublished) 1874 [found :) ]
                        Two Symphonyies

Eugen d' Albert - Piano Concerto in A minor
  Sigismond Stojowski - Piano Concerto No. 3 fictitious
  Henri Herz - Piano Concero no. 2 and 6 (although I'm pretty sure Hyperion will do this eventually! )
  Godard - Symphonies and Piano Concertos
  And the most important
  Bach - The Art of Fugue - fragment x .... if this exists!!!

Simon

How about Felix Mendelssohn's Cello Concerto? If I remember correctly, Mendelssohn had completed the first movement. It was then sent to his dedicatee, the cellist Alfredo Piatti, but unfortunately lost in the mail.

albion

I'm a little surprised that nobody yet has mentioned the full orchestral scores of Rufinatscha's third and fourth symphonies!  ;)

Alan Howe

R3 is almost certainly lost and gone for ever. R4 is certainly a major piece - or it would be if the orchestral score could be found (or reconstructed by an expert). With No.5 it constitutes the beginning of Rufinatscha's maturity.

thalbergmad

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 17:30
R3 is almost certainly lost and gone for ever.
I don't quite buy that.  What could have happened to it?  Why wasn't it with the other scores he left?  Unless it was bombed out of existence, surely it must be somewhere!

albion

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 23:03
Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 17:30
R3 is almost certainly lost and gone for ever.
I don't quite buy that.  What could have happened to it?  Why wasn't it with the other scores he left?  Unless it was bombed out of existence, surely it must be somewhere!
This has puzzled me too. If Rufinatscha left his scores in toto to an institution why should some be present and not others? Although I suppose that they might have had a particularly harsh winter one year in the Tyrol and burnt a few to stave off frostbite.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Simon on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 16:28
How about Felix Mendelssohn's Cello Concerto? If I remember correctly, Mendelssohn had completed the first movement. It was then sent to his dedicatee, the cellist Alfredo Piatti, but unfortunately lost in the mail.

Buh? This isn't listed at all in the (2009) thematic catalog. There's a Piano Concerto in e listed as sketckes, and nothing else incomplete, and nothing for cello.

Might be nice to heard one of those lost "Children's Symphonies" though.

albion

Quote from: TerraEpon on Thursday 06 January 2011, 06:53
Quote from: Simon on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 16:28

Buh? This isn't listed at all in the (2009) thematic catalog. There's a Piano Concerto in e listed as sketckes, and nothing else incomplete, and nothing for cello.

Might be nice to heard one of those lost "Children's Symphonies" though.

There are references here: http://www.cello.org/cnc/piatti.htm
and http://www.alfredopiatti.com/home/index.php?page=biography (paragraph nine)

Alan Howe

Re Rufinatscha: the existence of a Symphony in F major (No.3) is apparently indicated by the catalogue at the Tiroler Landesmuseum in Innsbruck, but cannot actually be located there. The symphony was not included in the original inventory of scores donated to the museum by the composer. (Information from sleevenote to CD of Symphony No.6.)

eschiss1

Re Mendelssohn cello concerto: R Larry Todd writes (p 546, Mendelssohn: a life in music, viewed online) "possibly at this time Mendelssohn shared with Piatti the first movement of a cello concerto sketched or composed for the Italian sometime after the two met in 1844". (At this time = May 4 (1846?47? from other things said on the same page, mainly the age of one other person) when the Beethoven Quartet society (in London) gave a concert in Mendelssohn's honor including the string quartet op.44/1 and one of the piano trios, Piatti playing cello.)
"Source material for this work has yet to materialize", Todd also notes. (Will have to get a copy of the book to find out what the endnote refers to- the apparent reference to the critic-philosopher Dilthey that I seem to be seeing is ... obscure and hard to understand.)
Eric