Mischa Spoliansky Symphony in 5 Movements

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 27 February 2022, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Mmm, from the audio extracts it sounds as if this CD might be worth investigating.

Alan Howe

semloh

Like all quality film composers, Spoliansky seems to me to have great skill in handling 'large forces', and the prospect of freeing himself from the constraints of the film, and letting loose on a symphony is an exciting one, albeit in 5 movements! This is a CD I will certainly add to my wants list. Thanks for the notice, Alan.

Alan Howe

I've just received my copy from jpc.de - I don't know how as its release date is 1st April! (There's a joke there somewhere...)

More later...

Alan Howe

I am struck above all by the evident sincerity and memorability of the music. There's nothing here that couldn't have been written half a century earlier but it just doesn't matter as the music carries you along throughout, full of conviction as to where it's going.

Spoliansky's style isn't particularly individual, but the use to which he puts it definitely is, especially in the recurring great outbursts - satisfyingly cinematic - which stay long in the memory.

A real find and another feather in Martin Anderson's already well-stocked hat!