News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rossini

Started by giles.enders, Monday 10 January 2011, 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Last night I was at a live performance of Rossini's Duetto for cello and double bass and what a delight it was.  I had never heard it before and wondered about this unusual combination of instruments.  It was full of wit and charm, Rossini at his best. I should add it was played by Benjamin Hughes and Duncan McTier.

Pengelli

eschiss1

I recall a review of a recording of mostly early (from 1808 to 1847, but mostly from 1808 to 1813) Rossini liturgical works and a sacred solo cantata (Joan of Arc), entirely? almost entirely? unknown, some years ago... (label Studio SM, #12 23.27, 1994 or 1995, Brizio/Prague sym./choir, 3-CD set, with a Kyrie de Ravenne, "Messe d. Rimini", and other works (and a doubtful Tantum Ergo that might be from 1824 if not dubious). (11 works in all.) Performances and some of the works reviewed hesitantly, some of the works greeted (in Gramophone? somewhere else?) much more happily.
Eric

Peter1953

Yes, Giles, it certainly is!
I happen to have a recording of probably the very same duet, but for double bass and piano. Most unusual, but lovely. It's performed by a friend of my daughter and her husband.