News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2022 Proms

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 25 June 2022, 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

A search shows nothing mentioned on this topic in the two months since announcements- weird. There's a performance of Smyth's the Wreckers set for 24 July (and her Mass later on), and some other works (Webern, Prokofiev) more of interest to me... 

ewk

Apart from the already mentioned:

Prom 2 with John Wilson features RVW's Tallis phantasia and Bax's Tintangel
Prom 6: RVW Symphony 4
Prom 10: Ireland Epic March, Stanford Coronation Gloria, RVW Silence and Music
Prom 14: Smyth Concerto for Horn and Orchestra
Prom 15: Barber Violin concerto
Prom 16: Grace Williams: Sea Sketches (1944 – remit?); RVW A Sea Symphony
Prom 32: RVW Rhosymedre, RVW Variations for brass band
Prom 37: RVW Oboe concerto
Prom 39: RVW Tuba concerto
Prom 41: Nielsen Symphony 3
Prom 42: Nielsen 4
Prom 51: Lalo Ouverture to « Le roi d'Ys » (+Franck Symphony, not as frequently played in concert anymore as it once was)
Prom 52: RVW Lark ascending
Prom 59: Elgar Dream of Gerontius (probably not unsung in England, but it would be quite an event here in Germany)
Prom 60: Ginastera Malambo (remit?)
Prom 70: Barber Knoxville Summer of 1915
Prom 71: "BBC 3's darling" (as Alan put it) Price's Symphony 1 (Philadelphia Orchestra, Nézet-Séguin)
Last Night: Coleridge-Taylor Deep River (and Pomp and Circumstance in an arrangement by Anne Dudley, did anyone hear what that sounded like last year?)

(it is RVW's 150th birthday which explains a lot – and the wish to represent misrepresented groups amongst composers, unusually many works by women – you  may think about this what you want, but it spotlights some rather seldomly-played works. A much more adventurous programme as in past years, at least)

Alan Howe

Thanks. I suppose the unsung items from that list that we could discuss here would amount to:

Prom 10: Ireland Epic March, Stanford Coronation Gloria, RVW Silence and Music
Prom 14: Smyth Concerto for Horn and Orchestra
Prom 51: Lalo Ouverture to « Le roi d'Ys »
Prom 71: Price's Symphony 1
Last Night: Coleridge-Taylor Deep River (and Pomp and Circumstance in an arrangement by Anne Dudley, did anyone hear what that sounded like last year?)

That leaves Smyth's Mass and The Wreckers...

BerlinExpat

This version of The Wreckers is really unsung:

Admired by Mahler and Britten and praised as a 'masterpiece' by Thomas Beecham, Ethel Smyth's opera The Wreckers – a psychological drama of 'wrecking, religion and love' – was the pinnacle of the composer's career.

With its sweeping musical soundscapes, passionate central love story and radical interrogation of fear, hypocrisy and mob violence, it's a compelling piece of music-theatre, whose heroine is a mirror of her fascinating, unorthodox creator. Glyndebourne presents the opera for the first time with its original score and French libretto. Robin Ticciati conducts an exciting international cast in this semi staged performance.

Christopher

I'll be at The Wreckers.  I've noticed the billing time is just under 4 hours...!