News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sharing files

Started by albion, Wednesday 19 January 2011, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

A couple of members have asked how to share files of otherwise-unobtainable recordings. If the files (mp3 or wma) are large, the best way is through mediafire:

1. Go to mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/)
2. Click on the green window
3. Either drag and drop files from your computer or Click here to Choose Files then browse the files on your computer. Select the ones you want (by highlighting them and clicking Open) and upload them (click Begin uploading files)
4. When all the files have loaded and verified click Go to my files
5. Create a folder (in the left-hand More Options menu)
6. Highlight the files and choose Move Selected from the More Options menu, which will enable you to move the files into your newly-created folder
7. Click the Share button (to the right of the folder) and then choose Share by Email from the tabs at the top
8. Enter your address and that of your intended recipient and then click Send link

Of course, the only files that should be sent should be non-commercially-available, eg. off-air broadcasts.

Amphissa

And as well ....

The best method to share files with only 1 or a few other persons is via WeTransfer. This is person-to-person, not uploaded to a public website. So it is as private as an email message. But it allows you to share very large files.

1. Zip the music (including multiple files) into a single Zip file, up to 2GB
2. Open WeTransfer web page  https://www.wetransfer.com/
3. Add the Zip file
4. Enter the email address of the 1 or few people you are making it available to
5. Enter your email address
6. Add a note to your recipients if you like
7. Click submit.

That's all. The recipients will automatically receive an email message with a link, which they click to download the file at their convenience. It is quick, easy, FREE, and not overloaded with advertising or other noxious impediments. No registration of any sort for you or your recipients needed!

Alan Howe

All I would say is: please don't share files of commercially-produced CDs. That would be counter-productive as far as encouraging the recording of unsung music is concerned...

Amphissa

Yes of course, Alan. Always good to have a reminder.

I have quite a large collection of entire concert broadcasts and video of concerts from television.  The files, especially for the TV concerts, tend to be rather large. I've found WeTransfer to be quite useful for large files.

Dundonnell

Since I started this process a couple of days ago the problem I have encountered is not-as I had expected- in converting recordings into mp3 format but actually getting the mp3 files uploaded onto Mediafire.

Files which are over 20MB are repeatedly failing to make it during the evening. Last night I had to upload(successfully) around 2.00am. This is presumably because traffic is less at that time?

I could reduce the size by uploading movements separately but I am already committed to a massive copying and uploading exercise and it would increase my workload excessively to have to do this.

semloh

Interesting, Colin.

Apart from the occasional complete fail, uploading to Mediafire takes me ages despite having a high-speed internet connection. A 20MB file might take 10-15 minutes.   ???  How does that compare? 

I woinder if it's because I've not upgraded to MediaPro and use if for free!? ;D

Dundonnell

Yes...same sort of time for me IF it uploads at all :(

The really frustrating thing is when the upload gets to 70-80% complete and then stops because of a "connection failure" >:(

jerfilm

I've had a few problems with uploads failing but not often,  I have a suspicion that buying in to the Pro thing will probably solve most of those problems......I'll make that decision when I run out of capacity
Jerry

Dundonnell

Having checked my Internet Service Provider's Website I find a statement to the efect that "at peak times we throttle everyone's speed back to be fair to all".

So...it looks like I will be doing my uploading between 2am and 8am :o

britishcomposer

Quote from: jerfilm on Saturday 22 October 2011, 23:51
I've had a few problems with uploads failing but not often,  I have a suspicion that buying in to the Pro thing will probably solve most of those problems......I'll make that decision when I run out of capacity
Jerry

Is there a limited capacity for uploads with mediafire?! I didn't know! Hrm...  :(

semloh

I see from the posts that Colin (D.) is sending his GB files in, and then they are being loaded into the relevant Mediafile folder. So... who do we send them to, and how do we do it?

Mark Thomas

There is absolutely no reason why MediaFire should be the only web hosting service used by us. I use it, having been introduced to it by Albion, because it is very user friendly and doesn't have onerous restrictions on non-member downloaders. But you could as easily use other services such as Filesonic, Fileserve, Rapidshare, WUpload, Depositfiles - they are legion. Clearly you would want to ensure that the service doesn't require downloaders to register with the service, pay to join or wait some time before they can access the download. But beyond that, don't feel compelled to use MediaFire.

Sicmu

Would it be possible to zip or rar the multiple track pieces ? This will save a LOT of time using Mediafire.

Mark Thomas

Good idea. I'll do that from now on.