Help with Neue Zeitschrift fur Musik article translation

Started by 4candles, Thursday 21 July 2022, 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Hello.

I cannot find a decipherable OCR recognition of this article online, so could anyone with a good grasp of C19th printed typeface in German help me out? It's an article by August Stradal on the compositions of Max Jentsch (and others), which seems enlightening from the little I can understand.

Max Jentsch und die Claviermusik nach Liszt

I can be patient!

Many thanks
4c

Mark Thomas

4candles

Thank you very much indeed Mark. I didn't even know the name of the font, so I wasn't going anywhere fast on my own steam! Unfortunately this site is not performing for me, but at least I know how to go about finding an alternative. Many thanks again.

cypressdome

Hi 4candles,

I've used Tesseract with the Fraktur font library to perform OCR on German-language librettos with some success.  I've taken the article, cropped the images, and have run it through Tesseract.  The results aren't too bad considering the rather low resolution of the original images. The PDF with an OCR layer can be downloaded here. You can select all the text and copy it to a text file to clean it up further.

4candles

Thank you so much Cypressdome! This has been very helpful indeed. And I was right: Stradal thought very highly of Jentsch's piano works and bemoaned his personal circumstances.

Best wishes
4c

Ilja

For badly printed and handwritten texts, I can recommend Transkribus: https://readcoop.eu/transkribus/. The Transkribus Lite option has a few really good AI modes that are surprisingly accurate.

chriss

"Die gewaltige Entwicklung, welche die Klaviermusik von Bach und Mozart bis Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann und Liszt durchlaufen hat, erscheint nach dem Tode des letztgenannten Meisters in schier rätselhafter Weise abgeschnitten. Während aus Wagner's Kunst nicht nur Reminiscenzen, sondern auch Konsequenzen gezogen wurden und Cornelius, Ritter, Humperdinck, Schillings, Weingartner, Rich. Strauß, Wolf usw. nach ihm und in seinem Geiste das Musikdrama fortzubilden bestrebt waren bzw. sind, während Liszt's symphonische Dichtung in Werken von Smetana, Ritter, Rich. Strauß und Weingartner gar herrlich weiterblüht, während wiederum Liszt als Lyriker für die neuere Liedweise der Cornelius, Alex. Ritter, Wolf, Strauß, Schillings, Sommer, Weingartner und A. Horn vorbildlich ward, ist in der Klaviermusik, der Liszt ganz neue Welten erschlossen hat, sein Einfluß bisher nur wenig zu verspüren, könnte man beinahe glauben, der letzte Beherrscher dieses ihm sozusagen angestammten Reiches habe überhaupt gar nicht existiert."