News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hyperion RPC Series

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Tuesday 23 June 2009, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I spoke briefly to Mike Spring today. Forthcoming releases in the RPC series are:
Stenhammar (2) in the autumn; Taubert (2) + Rosenhain, spring 2010; then probably Joseph Wieniawski & Goetz No. 1. Pixis is still definitely on the cards. Under consideration is the 2nd PC of Carl Eduard Hartknoch (1830), but finding the orchestral parts might be a problem.
I'm sorry but we didn't get round to discussing the RVCs.

JimL

I already have both Stenhammars, but that Taubert/Rosenhain sounds tantalizing.  Are you sure the Wieniawski will be coupled with Goetz #1 and not #2?  And what will the Pixis be coupled with?

Mark Thomas

I have a radio recording of Taubert's Second and it is a structurally interesting and melodically enjoyable but ultimately rather empty piece, which nonetheless belies his reputation as a second rate imitator of Mendelssohn. He was definitely a first rate imitator.

Alan Howe

Gareth: can you tell us anything more about the PC by Jozef Wieniawski? I have only ever come across his (enormous) Violin Sonata on Dux...

Gareth Vaughan

To answer your queries in order: Jim, the Wieniawski will be coupled with Goetz 1 and the coupling for the Pixis has not yet been decided (possibly the Concertino + something else; possibly just something else - the Hartknoch would be an obvious choice, but I'm doubtful the orchestral parts exist).
Alan, I'm afraid I don't know Jozef Wieniawski's piano concerto.  It is his only concerto: Op. 20 in G minor, 3 movts. Allegro moderato, Andante, Allegro molto; scored for a standard 19th century orchestra (double woodwind, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timps & strings); published Cranz, 1880; score and parts in Fleisher (full score only also in BL). I believe it has been recorded once before on CD - the label was "Chant du Monde", I think. But I never owned a copy and haven't heard it.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth. I was just wondering whether the Wieniawski (J.) PC was on the same sort of scale as his Violin Sonata...

Gareth Vaughan

The full score is 85pp, according to Fleisher, so it would seem to be quite a modest piece - about 25 mins!?

Jonathan

I have the Wieniawski piano concerto (it's coupled with Tausig's reorchestration of Chopin's 1st) and is played by Setrak.  Bearing in mind i've not listened to it for ages, from what I can remember it is very reliant on the soloist - more of a piano piece with orchestral obligato - but my memory may be faulty.  If I get a chance to listen, I will do so and report back.  Alan, you were correct, the recording is on Chante du Monde and it lasts 32 minutes.

JimL

That coupling sounds rather odd, guys.  The Goetz PC 1 is essentially an unpublished one-movement work that clocks in at just under 20 minutes on the only available recording of it from cpo.  That would mean that the J. Wieniawski concerto and the Goetz 1 would only add up to about 52 minutes of music.  There's room for another work on that CD, albeit a short one. 

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry, Jim. My mistake - it's the Goetz Op. 18 in B flat that's coupled with the Wieniawski. Even so, I agree with you that it's rather an odd coupling. There's no particular connection I know of between Wieniawski and Goetz.

JimL

As I suspected.  It's the Goetz 2nd.  Like we needed another one. ::)

Peter1953

Goetz. What a pity for all those who already have the 3 CD box with Goetz's Orchestral Works and Concertos. A very fine set, good performances and excellent quality. So a release of another performance of the Goetz is not something we are waiting for, unless you like to collect different performances of the same work.
This is not an exception of course. Some six years ago I was so pleased that the beautiful Myaskovsky VC op. 44, superbly played by Repin, was finally released on a Philips CD. Coupled with... again the Tchaikovsky. And there a so many more examples.

Peter1953

I guess a lot of piano concertos composed between 1825-1860 sound similar. But I'm very grateful to Hyperion for their RPC series. There are certainly a few jewels amongst them. Everybody has his own preference, but my Hyperion RPC Top Eleven is:

1. Henselt (7)
2. Moscheles 3 (29)
3. Scharwenka 4 (11)
4. Kullak (21)
5-6. Scharwenka 2 & 3 (33)
7. Scharwenka 1 (38)
8. Bortkiewicz 1 (4)
9. Paderewski (1)
10-11. Dohnányi 1 & 2 (6)

Of course the PCs of Mendelssohn, Saint-Saëns, Von Weber and Rubinstein 4 are great, but there are alternatives. I prefer the MP disc of Rubinstein 4 with Joseph Banowetz.

My wish for 2010? RPC #50 with Pixis. PC op. 100 coupled with his delicious concerto for piano, violin and string orchestra in F sharp minor. What a jubilee issue that would be...

Gareth Vaughan

You won't like this, guys, but RPC No. 50 is to be the Tchaikovsky concertante works, played by Stephen Hough (who is performing the concertos at the Proms this year). Personally, I think it will be a good set - and, after all, the series is called the Romantic Piano Concerto, not the obscure or unsung Romantic Piano Concerto.
Incidentally, I have just listened to the Jozef Wieniawski PC on a disk Mark kindly burned for me. I like it - very Lisztian, especially in its declamatory opening. Somewhat rhapsodic (but so was Liszt). A lovely slow movt in decorative salon style. And a finale with the potential to coruscate deliciously in the hands of an expert pianist. Altogether a lovely work.

JimL

Actually, other than PC 1, most Tchaikovsky concertante music for piano is relatively unsung.  Other than us, who is familiar with the PCs 2 or 3, or the Concert Fantasy?  BTW, is the 3rd Concerto going to be just the one-movement version that was published, or will it be the 3 movement version reconstructed by Taneyev?