Hugo Kaun Symphony No.3 & "Im Urwald": two Symphonic Poems Op.43

Started by BerlinExpat, Monday 26 September 2022, 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

There are also many examples - quite a few many centuries old (but newer than Renaissance) -to show a work doesn't need big melodies to be hugely memorable.

Mark Thomas

As a general rule it does for me, I must admit. Without at least one worthwhile melody which I can remember all I can recall is the general effect of a work. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy or appreciate it when I do hear it, of course.

Alan Howe

Well, surely what Kaun's doing is working with certain easily recognisable motifs which are subject to repetition and transformation - at least, that's what I hear. This, I think, is his symphonic modus operandi, and the enjoyment (at least for me) is to be found in the way these transformations appear and re-appear in different orchestral guises.

Of course, the enjoyment of music is a very individual matter and I can appreciate that others may react very differently. It's just that I find his mastery of the orchestra in putting together these motifs and themes endlessly fascinating. And, as for the slow movement, all I can say is 'wow!' It's surely one of the great ones...

Alan Howe

Of course, the two 'Im Urwald' symphonic poems ('Minnehah' and 'Hiawatha'), which were composed in 1901, are quite a bit earlier than the Symphony (1913) - and they sound it. However, what characterises his music above all is a poet's instinct for colour and feeling. He would have made a fine film music composer, I sense.

eschiss1

Apparently his eldest son went and entered just that profession...

Alan Howe