BerlinExpat

1st October 21:30 in Deutschlandfunk Kultur

Hugo Kaun
,,Minnehaha" und ,,Hiawatha", Sinfonische Dichtungen op. 43
Sinfonie Nr. 3 e-Moll op. 96

Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin
Conductor: Jonathan Stockhammer

eschiss1

Neat. Good to hear a symphony that I seem to recall received -many- performances when it was new...

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

BerlinExpat

Sorry, my computer has chewed up Audacity!

Only the first symphonic poem was broadcast. The works will appear on the CPO label.

Wheesht

The broadcast is available to listen to on the DLF website in an episode of "Die besondere Aufnahme" which includes a conversation with conductor Jonathan Stockhammer.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe works will appear on the CPO label.

That's good to know. Thanks.

jimsemadeni

Thanks to Wheesh for the directions to the Kaun concert. I can't say i was blown away but I wouldn't mind hearing more, maybe his piano concertos. There are mp3s here of part of his Pf cto here, I think it is live piano with synth orchestra.https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_No.2,_Op.115_(Kaun,_Hugo)

Alan Howe

Many thanks to Ilja for uploading these extraordinary rarities, i.e...
Symphony No. 3 in E minor, Op. 96 (1914) 'Im Urwald' ('In the Primeval Forest')
Zwei Symphonische Dichtungen (Two Symphonic Poems) Op. 43 - No.1. 'Minnehaha' (1901) (No.2 not broadcast)

They're here: 
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,8910.msg91480.html#new

Ilja

Quote from: jimsemadeni on Thursday 06 October 2022, 20:28Thanks to Wheesh for the directions to the Kaun concert. I can't say i was blown away but I wouldn't mind hearing more, maybe his piano concertos. There are mp3s here of part of his Pf cto here, I think it is live piano with synth orchestra.https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_No.2,_Op.115_(Kaun,_Hugo)
It's a bit unsatisfying that the concerto fades out briefly before the coda. I wonder whether this indicates a missing part of the score (only a four-hand piano score appears to exist on IMSLP) or Zielke's choice.

Gareth Vaughan

The complete scores and parts of both piano concertos by Kaun are in Fleisher, as noted by IMSLP.
IMSLP also gives a link to the new edition of the full score (and parts) of PC 2, edited by Walter Zielke. This link, however, no longer works, but I do know that Zielke edited the whole piece and the music is available directly from Albis Music, Zielke's own imprint: Albismusic.de

tpaloj

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 07 October 2022, 08:11... but I do know that Zielke edited the whole piece [full score (and parts) of PC2] and the music is available directly from Albis Music, Zielke's own imprint: Albismusic.de
That site desperately needs a search feature, ugh. Or if it's there I didn't see it. Anyway, this is the link to the concerto: Concerto no.2 on Albis music. I like their cover stylings and the engraving looks really fine from the example pictures. Here's to hoping it will be performed and recorded someday.

Ilja

The thing is that I'd like to listen to it, and in that case a score is of little use to me. I'd happily pay a few euros for a synthesized version if that's all there is.

Reverie

Thanks Ilja. I have just listened to the 3rd Symphony and was "blown away" by it - a fantastic work! That slow movement ....... gosh.

Ilja

I really like this work, too: it's clearly ambitious, and it goes somewhat against the romantic grain of the time, in that development is typically rather compact (and there's a lot happening). However, despite that I find it difficult to determine something like an artistic "fingerprint" for Kaun other than "eclectic". Stylistically, his work is all over the place. For instance, if you'd told me that the second movement of this symphony was written by Reznicek, I might have believed you. Thematically, he appears to have been inspired by German folk song; his first symphony bears some traces of this as well. Later on during the 1st World War, he would prove his patriotic credentials by re-arranging the German anthem Heil Dir im Siegerkranz to make it sound less God Save the King-y (that version never caught on, though).