Georg Goltermann -Cello Concerto No. 1 · Symphony in A minor · Romance · Ballade

Started by JP, Thursday 26 January 2023, 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

New release from Capriccio label featuring the orchestral works of a mid-to-late romantic Austro-Germanic composer. The excerpted sound clip conveys the distinct impression that this repertoire hails from the era of the more conservative leaning Bruch-Reinecke-Gernsheim-Draeseke-Raff genre... 

http://www.capriccio.at/georg-goltermann

Alan Howe

Thanks for this.

Just a couple of things: Draeseke doesn't really belong with Bruch or Reinecke. Although he continued to write in the classical forms, his idiom is decidedly more radical, along 'New German' lines. Raff was also more of a 'one off', not fitting comfortably with either Liszt/Wagner or the conservatives.

Goltermann's Symphony was published by Bretkopf & Härtel in 1852, so it's barely post-Schumann (as regards the latter's symphonies).

Gareth Vaughan

The Goltermann concerto is very attractive, if somewhat lightweight. I would like to hear his other cello concertos (there are 8 in all). Fleisher have scores and parts for Nos. 1-4 and 7 & 8. According to WorldCat, parts for No. 5 are held by the Artesis Plantijn Hogeschool, Antwerp. I have not located the parts for no. 6 yet, though I haven't searched very hard and they may still be available from the publsher, Schott, for all I know.

Holger

Goltermann's Fourth Cello Concerto (in G Major, Op. 65) is a sort of student concerto (I played it myself in my cello lessons years ago). Not that difficult but a tuneful and attractive piece, something you can learn from and at the same time just enjoy.

eschiss1

Checking SBN (Italy), which lists the Orchester-Bibliothek parts of Op.14 (and Respighi's "Elaborazione orchestrale" of that same concerto, a 1923 manuscript...), for example, and maybe might have some of the other concertos (edit: still looking for no.6, but they have published several parts-sets in Italian libraries including no.5.)- having a look...

eschiss1

eschiss1

eschiss1

Also, FLP does have no.5: see Concertstück Op.76. They just don't call it concerto no.5. It's still the same work!

Gareth Vaughan

Ah, well done, Eric. I said I hadn't looked very hard. Was wrong-footed by Fleisher's description of no. 5 as Concertstuck. Should have checked opus number.

Richard Moss

Does anyone know the UK availability of this CD?  Can't see it listed on PRESTO, AMAZON or Europadisc.

Cheers

Richard

eschiss1

Capriccio doesn't seem to say when the CD will be available anywhere, and neither does any other site?

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The blurb at Presto reads:
<<The Symphony in A minor, which was both well received and prized by Goltermann himself, is written in an attractive, post-Brahmsian vein, especially the exquisite, lively Scherzo with its sweeping Trio.>>

Post-Brahmsian? It was written in 1852. Oops!