News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gernsheim Symphonies

Started by albion, Wednesday 02 February 2011, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

In a reckless moment of extravagance, I've just splashed out and bought the Arte Nova set of the four Gernsheim Symphonies on ebay for the princely sum of £4.25 - what should I expect?  ???

Alan Howe

Lovely works in the received conservative German tradition, with glorious surges of orchestral power and memorable themes. None outstays its welcome. I'd put them at roughly the same level as the best of Stanford or Parry, with No.4 being the best overall.

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 02 February 2011, 17:47
I'd put them at roughly the same level as the best of Stanford or Parry.
That's good enough for me!  ;D

Mark Thomas

Difficult to think how you could better spend £4.25. Alan is spot on. You can rest easy and look forward to a treat.

eschiss1

I agree!! Some really fine music in his output I think being recorded gradually thanks also to Toccata Classics also and others.

Gerhard Griesel

Thanks to Albion for this wonderful tip! I ordered a copy from Amazon. Belonging to this group is really costing me a lot of money...

Peter1953

A lot of money? Slightly more than £1 per gorgeous Gernsheim symphony?  ;)

Pengelli

It all adds up,but the price IS still a bargain,although Albions copy is,sadly,(but not for him),sold.
Listening to samples on Amazon. I have never heard this composer before,but these sound really impressive,full of sweep and passion and wonderful surging tunes. This is REALLY good. I notice.at least one Amazon.com reviewer rates them more highly than Brahms's cycle. Maybe a little ott,but if the rest of the symphonies are as good as the samples!
I'm going back to Amazon & spending my a little over £1 a disc TOO!

Alan Howe

All lovers of good unsung symphonists should hear the Gernsheim cycle. It'll bring hours of enjoyment...

petershott@btinternet.com

And, fingers crossed, it might lead you to the wonderful Toccata CD of the two Piano Quintets!

Peter

Pengelli

I notice the Quintets have had some rave reviews.

Pengelli

I must admit the Wetz symphonies put me off neglected late 19thc/early 20thc symphonies for a while. Discovering Raff via this site got me going again.
Come to think of it,it was a review of the Antes edition of the 'Piano Trios' that I saw.
(There are so many neglected symphonies from this period. Robert Volkmann is another one,but I can't find much about him)
I DO get a strong feeling reading threads on this forum that my next cd port of call should be Felix Draeseke.

eschiss1

Quote from: Pengelli on Thursday 03 February 2011, 13:19
I DO get a strong feeling reading threads on this forum that my next cd port of call should be Felix Draeseke.
at least with Draeseke, you can hear some of the works in part or full (including all of symphony 3) for free at draeseke.org.  I prefer the chamber music to the symphonies in his case (and several others'). (Though I like Wetz!)

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Thursday 03 February 2011, 13:19
I came to Draeseke expecting a dutiful listen to a dry-as-dust academic. Instead I found a winning melodic gift, colourful orchestration and restrained but very real emotion.

Being an orchestral (rather than a chamber music or instrumental) animal I only know his work through the Symphonies and their couplings on CPO, but these three discs have taken a treasured place in my collection.

Finn_McCool

The commenters are right:  the four Gernsheim symphonies on 2 CDs is a great bargain.   Sadly, the symphonies did not resonate with me.  If you are interested in owning this set, drop me a line and I'll send it to you.  This is a no strings attached offer (also a no pun intended offer), but if you want to send me something you're not listening to, it might be a fun trade.