Your favourite String Quartet/Quintet -- Looking for a birthday gift

Started by ewk, Sunday 23 April 2023, 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Hi all,

I am looking for a birthday gift for my father who is an amateur violinist having played a vast amount of string quartet/quintet repertoire. Now we are looking for a substantial unsung quartet/quintet meeting the following requirements:
- inside our remit
- interesting to play, not only beautiful to listen to (Raff's beautiful No. 1 was a disappointment at some point in the past for this reason).
- not a "concerto for 1st violin", i.e. meaningful parts for all of the instruments
-not necessarily hyper-unsung, but that would be ok, too. Outside standard repertoire would be also acceptable.
-playable for ambitious amateurs (if you can tell -- e.g. hyper-chromatic works like Kormgold 1st quarter tend to be frustrating for amateurs - although their group tackled the Reger Sextet last summer).

Please give reasons why you like or recommend a work, otherwise this kind of threads often degrade to mere lists.

Thank you all very much, I am very much looking forward to your recommendations!

Best wishes,
Ewk

John Boyer

Rheinberger: Theme and Variations for String Quartet, Op. 93 -- I've always liked this work because it is such an interesting exploration of the passacaglia form. It progresses with a sense of inevitability, like a good passacaglia should. There is no overt virtuosity, and it's not too long, either. 

Bruch: String Quintet in A Minor, Op. posth (1918) -- This late quintet shows off Bruch's lovely sense for sonority.  It's also of reasonable length, and devoid of display. 

---

Also ran:

Rheinberger: String Quintet in A Minor, Op. 82 -- Rheinberger can be very uneven, but this unfortunately ignored quintet is chock-full of delightful romantic ideas, making it one of his more interesting chamber works.

John Boyer

I might add that the qualification of being interesting to play is certainly the hardest thing for a mere listener to judge. It is something, however, that I have heard mentioned by professionals about many unsung composers compared to their celebrated counterparts: that the famous composers are simply more interesting for the players than the works by the minor composers, even if both might be equally enjoyable for a listener. 

Alan Howe

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 23 April 2023, 14:41Draeseke String Quartet No.2.

Don't forget this important caveat: "Please give reasons why you like or recommend a work, otherwise these kind of threads often degrade to mere lists."

Tapiola

Quote from: John Boyer on Sunday 23 April 2023, 14:48
Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 23 April 2023, 14:41Draeseke String Quartet No.2.

Don't forget this important caveat: "Please give reasons why you like or recommend a work, otherwise these kind of threads often degrade to mere lists."

Touché.  ;D

4candles

I would like to suggest the only published string quartet by my current composer-of-interest, Max Jentsch, Op.49. It is available at IMSLP.

I have never actually heard it, but if it is anything like his String Quintet, it should be a relatively big-boned, richly romantic piece with sumptuous chromatic harmonies. The third movement Scherzo is in 27/16 time, which is very curious and I have read that the composer's slow movements are often very beautiful.

If your father does ever play it with his Quartet, I would love to hear what their thoughts are of the work.

4c

Alan Howe

Quoteotherwise these kind of threads often degrade to mere lists
I only made one suggestion! Hardly a list!

Draeseke SQ No.2
I've expressed my view here before:
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,7397.0.html

I also agree with this:
Draeseke's own favourite of the three quartets was the Second, quickly composed in May 1886. His habitual long melodic arcs are evident in the first movement, with its arrestingly lovely opening. There is little aggressive or even loud in this movement, but its poised beauty demands continual attention. If the first quartet has a minuet movement, in the conventional third place, the brief second movement here is a full-blooded scherzo, at times with hints of the mazurka, but elsewhere quite gentle in manner.
The third movement is perhaps the most affecting of all, in terms of expression, sustained lines of melody. It has something of the artistry that hides its technical brilliance, as Draeseke leaves the impression of a single great arch. The finale is technically elaborate, lively and like the others, assured.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Feb/Draeseke_quartets_v1_5552812.htm

Listen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itp4lEoOoRc

Martin Eastick

May I suggest Georges Onslow's String Quintet No32 in D minor Op78. One of his last string quintets dating from the early 1850's, this surely has to be one of his finest works. One slight problem here though is that it is written for two violas which may be offputting to those considering the aspects of programming etc. Nevertheless this is a fine work which deserves to be better known and is representative of this composer at his very best - it certainly awakened in me an interest in string chamber music which had previously been dominated by piano-orientated repertoire. Apart from the unusual instrumentation, I'm afraid I cannot offer much with regards to difficulty etc., but the parts are readily available from IMSLP. Also, at present, there does not appear to be a modern recording - the only one dates from 1980's and was originally issued on LP. 

John Boyer

Quote from: Martin Eastick on Monday 24 April 2023, 00:59One slight problem here though is that it is written for two violas

Why a problem? Most romantic-era string quintets use the two-viola rather than the two-cello option.

Double-A

The problem rather seems to be that op. 78 is a quintet, not a quartet.  I had been wondering whether to suggest Onslow's op. 21/1 in e-minor which is undoubtedly a very fine QUARTET.  Many of Onslow's quartets deserve that qualification but I spent a week with this one in a chamber music work shop years ago*.  It is one of those pieces that become more impressive the more time one spends with it.  It stands out for excellent writing for the ensemble (e.g. right at the beginning where every voice contributes part of the thematic material in a sort of acoustic lego set).

I have been wondering if there is a requirement that a recording exists.  Of this work there is none as far as I know (with the exception of longer than usual soundbites on the Silvertrust catalogue which are taken from a recording of a sight reading session and which do not do it full justice).  The sheet music is on IMSLP or available from Silvertrust, so no problem there.

* This proves that the piece is accessible to competent amateurs.  Onslow's pieces are not easy to play as a general rule and this one is no exception.  But your group will do fine with it.

John Boyer

Quote from: Double-A on Monday 24 April 2023, 11:40The problem rather seems to be that op. 78 is a quintet, not a quartet.

That should not be a problem either, since the thread is for a "favorite string quartet/quintet".

jdperdrix

Quote from: Martin Eastick on Monday 24 April 2023, 00:59May I suggest Georges Onslow's String Quintet No32 in D minor Op78. One of his last string quintets dating from the early 1850's, this surely has to be one of his finest works. One slight problem here though is that it is written for two violas which may be offputting to those considering the aspects of programming etc. Nevertheless this is a fine work which deserves to be better known and is representative of this composer at his very best - it certainly awakened in me an interest in string chamber music which had previously been dominated by piano-orientated repertoire. Apart from the unusual instrumentation, I'm afraid I cannot offer much with regards to difficulty etc., but the parts are readily available from IMSLP. Also, at present, there does not appear to be a modern recording - the only one dates from 1980's and was originally issued on LP. 

I've seen the CD (coupled with quartet Op.8 N°1) by Gérard Jarry et al. for sale on ebay. It's still dowloadable from various sites. It's available on youtube, for those interested.

Martin Eastick

My only reason for flagging up the instrumentation was the original request and whether or not there would be two viola players in the set-up! Therefore "slight problem" was perhaps a little hypothetical - and apologies for being a tad misleading.

The CD recording mentioned by jdperdrix was originally released as an LP and is the one to which I refer in my original post, and is the only one to date. Obviously this work could well do with a new recording - perhaps it will appear in the Naxos cycle (hopefully to be continued) with the Elan Quintet soon!

eschiss1

Naxos has a complete Onslow quintet series underway so perhaps not for long.
The Draeseke 2nd quartet is among my favorites if not necessarily at the top. Even listen to the fluid modulations and chord-reinterpretations of the opening pages alone, in the service of a beautiful musical argument.