2. Kriegsmarch des Königs nach Kiew
3. Scene in der Kirche

Évocations – Symphonie fantastique in E major op. 73
1. Moderato
2. Allegro con spirito
3. Adagio sostenuto
4. Tema con variazioni

eschiss1

Volume 1 of this new series, containing the symphonie fantastique "Évocations" op.73, the legend op.53 and Von der Liebe op.99 for soprano and orchestra, is apparently now available.

Alan Howe

Ilja

What I don't understand is why they -apparently- changed the magnificent title of the Symphonic Legend of King Boleslaus the Bold and Bishop Stanislaus the Saint to just "Symphonic legend", and Évocations. Symphonie fantastique pour orchestra to just "Symphonie Fantastique", with which people have rather different associations, I assume.

By the way, Op. 73 isn't Evocations, but the opera Jacqueline, according to both opus lists I can find. The symphony should be Op. 78. Edit: I see it's correctly indicated on the disc itself; must be an error on Presto's end.

Alan Howe

If friends want the CD, it can be ordered (using PayPal) via MusicWeb's archive site (scroll down to find AP0505):
http://www.musicweb-international.com/Acte_Prealable/Catalogue_Acte_Prealable_2013.htm

eschiss1

It's also newly arrived at Records International, which is why I mention it. Records International now has (and lists themselves as exclusively having) about a half-dozen discs of his music- this was the only one I didn't recognize, since I hadn't caught this earlier thread!

Justin

Koczalski was born in January 1885, and he conducted his own Symphonic Legend in concert in October 1894. Absolutely incredible for a 9 year old and an example of a prodigy. It has influences of the early Romantic period, particularly Mendelssohn and Chopin in my opinion when I hear the third movement.

It isn't a work that I would regularly come back to, but it is pleasant to hear and sometimes to surprise friends when I play it.

Alan Howe

'Pleasant' has been my reaction to quite a lot of his music. Makes me wonder whether this latest CD is any good. However, curiosity will probably get the better of me...

Mark Thomas

Amongst the concertos and chamber works already available there's the odd movement or isolated idea which rises above the generally innocuous level but, although there's nothing to dislike, on the whole Koczalski's catalogue seems to fall into the "listen and forget" category. Like Alan, though, I'll no doubt buy this latest recording out of curiosity.

Ilja

Quote from: Justin on Tuesday 06 June 2023, 02:36Koczalski was born in January 1885, and he conducted his own Symphonic Legend in concert in October 1894. Absolutely incredible for a 9 year old and an example of a prodigy. 
Incredible indeed. I tend to be extremely mistrustful of alleged herculean musical accomplishments by very young prodigies, particularly when they were surrounded by lots of other musicians. As for the Symphonic Legend, it is eminently forgettable. The symphony is of an altogether different level, and while not particularly individual it still rises above what we've heard in the piano concertos, I think. This may be the only piece I've heard by Koczalski sofar that I see myself returning to.

Alan Howe

Oh dear. My curiosity's on the wane...

Alan Howe

Hi Ilja: Have you any more thoughts about the Symphony?

Ilja

Not so much apart from the observation that it really feels more like a symphonic poem than a symphony. I was occasionally reminded of Hausegger's Aufklänge, which shares the same setup (and is roughly contemporaneous). I can't distinguish much of a "symphonic argument". The work is the most attractive I know by Koczalski, in an elegiac sort of way, but you won't go around humming the tunes.

Alan Howe

Now my curiosity has been piqued again...

Alan Howe

...so I decided to order the CD through MusicWeb (who get orders for Acte Préalable releases sent direct to the customer from Poland). It's taken around four weeks in all.

'Évocations – Symphonie fantastique' in E major Op.73 is generic late-romanticism - the sort of thing one might be grateful to hear in a concert, but which has little staying-power. It's beautiful in a rather mild way but, as Ilja suggests, it's not really striking enough for its material, nor is it in any way original.

Unless you must collect everything by Koczalski, I wouldn't bother with this release.