Léon Kreutzer: Flute Quartet

Started by 4candles, Tuesday 19 September 2023, 12:45

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Delighted to say I've found an audio version of the above work, which, on the basis of hearing it through fully for the first time, absolutely deserves to be performed and recorded commercially.

This work was praised by Berlioz and critics of the time for its sense of fantasy and ingenuity. With quite clear hints as to the influence of Beethoven (at least to my ears), this could be one of the strongest works of his I've heard. In parts there is even an orchestral feel to it, which is an effect I often sense with Kreutzer's chamber works that I've heard.

• Mvt 1 - Amoroso: Very straightforward, simple even, and should be playable by any good amateur group.
  • Mvt 2 - Scherzo. Vivace: More ambitious in scale - quite rigidly constructed and worked out, but with a good sense of forward movement and even drama. Strangely, this movement is given the title 'Scherzo', but I feel this title should be reserved for the following movement...
  • Mvt 3 - Fantasia: Particularly delightful - including some piquant turns of harmony and rather delicious effects, giving the overall work a bit of an impish, fantastic turn.
  • Mvt 4 - Finale: The longest movement and a little four-square, but never dull, and including a brief but sweet segué at the end given over to piccolos.

LISTEN HERE - Kreutzer - Flute Quartet in D Major (Click on the 'Audio' tab)

Best wishes to all.

4c

semloh

Thank you for this, 4candles. How unusual to have a flute quartet that is actually written for four flutes! It's obviously a computer realization, and the rather hymnlike opening reminded me of the portable organs I used to heard at Christian religious meetings. I really like it, and your movement summaries seem spot on, although the audio kept cutting out for me and had to be repeatedly re-set.

I would like to think that it might find its way into the concert hall. Hopefully, there are still people who have the patience to concentrate on four flutes for almost half an hour!  ;D

Mark Thomas

That group would exclude me, I'm afraid!

Alan Howe

4candles

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 20 September 2023, 09:14That group would exclude me, I'm afraid!
I would normally have said that for myself too, but given the unusual chamber grouping I was happy to give it a whirl! ;D And of course it would sound even better with real performers.

4candles

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 20 September 2023, 10:11Count me out too - with apologies!
No need for apologies! It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea of course.  :)

TerraEpon

Quote from: 4candles on Wednesday 20 September 2023, 11:00I would normally have said that for myself too, but given the unusual chamber grouping I was happy to give it a whirl! ;D And of course it would sound even better with real performers.

I wouldn't even consider it that unusual. Groups of four of the same woodwinds (or woodwind family) isn't really THAT uncommon, though granted I've seen it much more with clarinets and saxophones. The only somewhat-known composer who wrote a piece specifically for four flutes is Eugene Bozza, but Khulau wrote some pieces for three flutes, and I have a couple discs with ensembles of five, fourteen (!), and four + piano -- obviously almost all arrangements, but still.

4candles

Thanks TerraEpon.

Yes I'm now aware of Kuhlau's contributions to the flute ensemble repertory thanks to a helpful aid on IMSLP, but he was of the generation before Kreutzer, and Bozza came significantly later. I suppose I should have said 'unusual chamber grouping for the time'. I wonder how many other French Romantic-era composers wrote for the same forces?

eschiss1

"The only somewhat-known composer who wrote a piece specifically for four flutes is Eugene Bozza"
Reicha? (3 Adagios for 4 Flutes, Op.18; flute quartets Opp.12, 19.) Carl Ditters? (Notturno in D.) Both better-known than Bozza...
You mention Kuhlau as though he wrote no work for 4 flutes. His quartet Op.103 says "hold my beer."

4candles

Ah yes, good old Reicha. But, again, from the generation or so before Kreutzer.

Alan Howe

Quote from: 4candles on Thursday 21 September 2023, 07:38Ah yes, good old Reicha. But, again, from the generation or so before Kreutzer.

...but probably an as yet unacknowledged great composer?

eschiss1

as to other French Romantic era composers of flute quartets, how about Walckiers?..

semloh

Ah, yes, Eric - Walckiers' flute quartets, recorded and on YT.

4candles

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 21 September 2023, 12:33
Quote from: 4candles on Thursday 21 September 2023, 07:38Ah yes, good old Reicha. But, again, from the generation or so before Kreutzer.

...but probably an as yet unacknowledged great composer?
I would concur!

4candles

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 22 September 2023, 01:38as to other French Romantic era composers of flute quartets, how about Walckiers?..
Thanks for the reminder on Walckiers, Eric. For some reason I always think of Walckiers as Belgian - probably because the surname doesn't look particularly French to me. Must check his quartets out.