Lalo Symphony etc. from Neeme Järvi

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 27 November 2023, 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Elgar4Ever

I will look forward to Jarvi's Lalo CD. The Symphony is a fine work, but the other items are usually overlooked.
Namouna is a fabulous ballet and almost completely overlooked today. When is the last time, a production has taken place? The music is quirky, rhythmic and is brilliantly offbeat.
The Le Roi d'ys Overture is a scintilating piece with a tremendous final section. It has been recorded before, but the modern Chandos recording, should make those who care about this great French composer very happy.

Mark Thomas

The Le Roi d'Ys Overture is a terrific piece - really Wagnerian in its swaggering drama. It was my introduction to Lalo and, fine composer though he is, I've never heard a piece by him which makes more impact.

Alan Howe

The only reservation I'd have about this release would be whether the conductor is too slick. I'll be interested to hear some excerpts...

Mark Thomas

True, Järvi's need for speed sometimes doesn't serve the music.

Alan Howe

As an example, I compared Bakels (on BIS) in the Symphony at 26:33 and Beecham (Warner) at 27:25 with Järvi at 24:58, so we'll see whether the difference is significant.

Beecham, by the way, does his usual trick of making Lalo's Symphony sound better than it (probably) is...

Ilja

Both of Beecham's recordings that I know of the Lalo symphony are rather special (and my opinion of the piece is perhaps higher than most here to begin with). Interestingly, I think that in some ways Järvi is not unlike Beecham; I'm specifically referring to what he says at the beginning of this interview: 

The big difference may be that Järvi's approach is, in the well-chosen words of a review I read, more "coarsely grained" (Dutch: grofkorrelig). It can really be a bit of a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, it may sometimes even be an advantage, but I rather suspect it won't be here. We'll see. 

The item of interest here for me, though, is the two suites (sometimes also described as Rhapsodies) from the ballet Namouna, the genre of music in which Lalo was truly a standout. It's not been recorded often, and should be right up Järvi's street.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Ilja. That's both illuminating and amusing. A far cry, I may say, from the micro-managers among today's conductors who can't see the (complete) wood for (all the individual) trees. If you get my meaning...

terry martyn

The De Almeida Monte Carlo is my go-to fun recording. The finale bounces along in a swaggering way.

Jonathan

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 02 December 2023, 11:04...micro-managers among today's conductors who can't see the (complete) wood for (all the individual) trees. If you get my meaning...

Alan, we'd better pray they never try Raff's 3rd then!

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

semloh

Quote from: terry martyn on Saturday 02 December 2023, 12:19The De Almeida Monte Carlo is my go-to fun recording. The finale bounces along in a swaggering way.
Me too, Terry. The Namouna music has always been my favourite work by Lalo. I think the selection of works for this new release should make for a most enjoyable experience, and I think a lively tempo won't hurt!

Elgar4Ever

Lalo: Orchestral Works

Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi
Release Date: 19th Jan 2024
Catalogue No: CHAN20183
Label: Chandos
Length: 77 minutes

The above recording combines The 2 Suites from the beautiful ballet 'Namouna' with the Symphony and the Le Roi d'ys:Overture.
N.Jarvi continues his remarkable Chandos series, devoted to romantic composers.
If you have never given Namouna a proper listen, this is your chance, the rhythmic and off-beat melodies will have you tapping your feet with gusto.
Here is hoping Jarvi will respond to the lovliness in Namouna.