News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Klose, Friedrich (1862-1942)

Started by Reverie, Thursday 07 December 2023, 20:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Born in 1862, Klose came to serious composition relatively late, but after receiving his first score, Wagner's Lohengrin, he was completely bowled over. He not only became a fervent admirer of Wagner (later this was to spread to Liszt and Berlioz) but also had the good fortune of being a pupil of Bruckner.

As expected, his music reflects all the opulence and grand orchestration of these afforementioned composers, but his language has many original touches. These are witnessed most clearly in his tone poem Das Leben ein Traum** composed in 1896 (basically a symphony) and in his only opera Ilsebill. of 1903.

Two earlier works, Elfenreigen and Festzug both dating from 1892 show his developing orchestral skills - moments of great delicacy contrasted with an ability to handle larger resources with an assured maturity.

Here are my realisations of these two short tone poems:

Elfenreigen und Festzug (Now WITH harps)

LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pT_kM4Hvq8

** This is a project I have already begun and it is proving to be most fascinating!

eschiss1

Thanks!
The work I've run into by him is a curiousish string quartet...

Gareth Vaughan

It is a great pity that the upload does not contain the harp parts since these are very prominent in the score. I have advised Mr Walsh who admits he uploaded the wrong version, but does not say if he will upload the version with the harps. Until he does so we are not hearing what the composer wrote.

Alan Howe

Reverie

I have taken the youtube down so I can fix the lack of harps! It seems I have inadvertently overwritten some files so I'd like to get it right and upload again. Apologies.

Alan Howe

Not to worry, Martin. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Reverie

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Indeed. As ever, Martin, thank you very much.