News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mihály MOSONYI

Started by semloh, Friday 15 December 2023, 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Over the last week or so I have been enjoying the music of Mihály Mosonyi (1815-1870). I was surprised to find that although his music clearly falls into UC's remit he has been mentioned only occasionally, mostly some years ago. I had assumed that his rather charming Piano Concerto was one of the Hyperion RPCs, but all I could find are the old Vox and Marco Polo recordings. The Marco Polo series of recordings of his piano music is likewise 23-30 years old. The Hungaroton version of his excellent String Sextet is from 2004; the String Quartets, and three Masses along with shorter vocal works, appeared some 15 years ago (although the actual recording dates are hard to pin down). A selection of piano pieces appeared on a Da Vinci disc in 2022 and is a delight, provided you're not expecting anything demanding.

That's just my take from visiting the usual music retail websites.

It's perhaps not 'great' music, compared to that of some of his contemporaries, but much of it is engaging and enjoyable. Perhaps it's Mosonyi's insistence on trying to create a distinctively Hungarian style that has led to this neglect. I don't know, but I do feel it is time for some fresh recordings! Does anyone else on UC share this view?

terry martyn

I absolutely agree!  I have both recordings and the opening melody easily comes to mind. And I was very pleasantly surprised by his Symphony, which jogs along in a way that brings a smile to my face. If I had to choose between Mosonyi and Moscheles, whom I seem to remember I discovered on the very same day in a Nottingham music-shop, I would plump for Mosonyi, as I think he is ever so slightly more memorable. Certainly, in my opinion, his Symphony has more about it, and I think Schumann might have agreed, as he was very disparaging about Moscheles' attempt.

Alan Howe

Amazon tells me that I bought the Piano Concerto/Symphony CD on 27th September 2007. I was a lot younger then. Think I'll give it a spin...

..which I'm now doing. The PC of 1844 is a rather lovely, lyrical work, something like a Chopin concerto in miniature, or perhaps early Mendelssohn. The Symphony (1842-44) has more Beethovenian pretensions (or should that be Spohr, perhaps?), but I sense that this wasn't the composer's forté. A nice CD to have, but hardly earth-shattering. Maybe I'll play it again in a few years' time...

A thought: the Symphony in particular could benefit from a more dynamic performance. Perhaps one will come along...

Gareth Vaughan

There are 2 symphonies (apparently) but the second has not been recorded, and I can't find it listed on WorldCat, though the MS may be in the Hungarian State Library - I haven't searched there yet (not all their holdings are on WorldCat). Fleisher, incidentally, has only the 7th String Quartet.

Jonathan

I also like the piano concerto however, I used to have one of the Marco Polo discs of solo piano music and I found it dull and uninteresting.  That said, the Marco Polo disc of his Liszt transcriptions is superb.  It's about time I gave that a spin again!

Best regards
Jonathan

semloh

Jonathan, I agree that some of the piano music is a bit humdrum, but not so the Da Vinci disc. I see that it can be heard on YT (as can most of Mosonyi's major works) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcC93-ESnQ&list=OLAK5uy_nQmLuxnAR811SbRKHNhW2KJpOHiHaTZH0 - which, to reiterate a point made by others, is a bit irritating for those who've purchased the disc!

I have the Vox CD of the Symphony, but haven't listened to it much as it struck me as rather featureless, as Alan indicates. But, in view of my recent redisovery of his music I must try it again! I'm sure a crisp new recording would help.

Jonathan

I shall have to investigate further, by the sounds of it semloh!

Thank you.

Best regards
Jonathan